Transferring old Podcasts & Mail to new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Podcast question
    I am slightly confused as to why I am not seeing the podcasts I had on my old Mac in the podcasts library of iTunes on my new Mac. I sent the entire iTunes file over by firewire to my new machine and replaced the iTunes file on the new machine, as I have done 100 times before when backing up or transferring songs to another one of my Macs, but for some reason I cannot find the podcasts I transferred. Any clue what to do?

Email question
    Similar problem for several of my old mail messages, although in this case I have never tried transferring before. I have several folders that I have mail sent to that are either "on my Mac" files or my gmail files that use POP (the IMAP files are no problem). I transferred and saved the files in filename.mbox format, but do not know how to get them into mail to be part of the collection. I am not sure, but I am guessing there might also be a bit of a distinction between files saved "on my Mac" and my gmail files, some help on this issue would be awesome as well.

2. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am at a loss here since the apple support site is really doing nothing for me either.

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

From the ever helpful Wildcowboy
    [/QUOTE]Regarding the podcast issue, I'm not much of an expert. I have a few, but I rarely use that functionality. Your podcasts should be located in a "Podcasts" folder that gets organized as an "artist" within your iTunes Music folder. That folder doesn't exist or is empty for you?[/QUOTE]

Nope, not in the main music library either.

[/QUOTE]
    Regarding the e-mail issue, you should be able to go to File --> Import Mailboxes and select a folder where those .mbox folders are located to import them into your account. Have you tried that?
    [/QUOTE]

I have tried this a few times now and each time it tells me it is invald.