transferring pics from sony camcorder...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blackfox, Mar 28, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Hello all...
    Here is my problem:
    I have an old Sony Digital8 camcorder (TRV 320) which has a fair amount of still pictures located on its' memory stick. I wish desperately to upload them to my mac(s), but have been unable to do so...they have rather horrible resolution, but major sentimental value.
    I do not want to buy any extra equipment (such as a memory stick reader) and the camcorder does not have a USB port...I have tried capturing via FW in various programs w/ little luck...as far as software goes, I have FCP express, Premiere 6.5, BTV Pro, Photoshop, and Apples picture and movie software...yet have been unable to come up with a solution...
    So suggestions? Any would be appreciated...the best idea I have had so far is capturing the image with Snapz Pro (it does show up in Premiere for example, but I cant capture it)...but that is a rather inelegant solution...thanks for your time...

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

A reader is only $25 from crucial
    http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?IMODULE=CTR6ACPU2
    The pictures must be worth that, as you say they are of "major sentimental value" If you do capture the images through the firewire/Premier/FCP they will be scaled down to TV resolution.

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I 2nd the reader suggestion. Bugs me how some people can d/l pics straight off the digicam and DV when a reader's easier, faster, and doesn't drain battery.

4. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Fair enough, although as a matter of principle, I am annoyed at the proprietary nature of Sony and memory stick technology...I will for the moment hold out for other suggestions, but will reconsider a memory reader...it is just that I have a nice digital camera now, and it would be a one-time deal for me...thanks though...

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I don't like readers. They have a way of corrupting images sometimes.

Does your memory stick show up in Finder? My camera and dv cam memory sticks show up as drives and I can just drag stuff off of them.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If it has a memory stick then shouldn't you be able to get the pictures in iPhoto or Image Capture? Even without USB I would think that you could plug the FW cord in, put it in still mode, and open up iPhoto or Image Capture. Good luck! :)

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Another thought on this! Here in the UK a lot of the mini labs now offer a digital service, ie they will copy your sim to cd rom or will print them.

8. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

I will consider this...hadn't thought of that...cheers
    In response to the two above posts...no my memory stick does not show up in the finder(I wish...)
    I thought it would be as simple as connecting via FW and importing w/ iPhoto or Image Capture, but no dice...hence the problem...thanks for the suggestions all..

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

What kind of memory does your digital camera take? If it takes SD, you could get a Keyspan JumpDrive Trio. You plug your Memory Stick or SD/MMC card in the drive, plug the drive into your USB, and it mounts on your desktop as a flash drive.

The beauty is that it works with MS and SD. Plus it was only $20 or so.