Transferring playlists and iPhoto albums

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hibbity, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Hibbity macrumors member

Feb 28, 2005
    I just sold my G4 mini, and am going to buy an intel core duo. i will probably have to ship my G4 out before I get the intel in. I have an external HD where I can store all my files, but the concern I have is keeping my iPhoto albums and my iTunes playlists intact without being able to do a direct mac-to-mac transfer.

How should I handle this? If theres a way to save all of my preferences that would be ideal, but I'm mostly concerned simply about keeping my playlists and iPhoto albums.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    iPhoto is easy, just copy the entire iPhoto folder (the one in yourhomefolder/Pictures).

If you've set iTunes to keep music organized, then copying the entire iTunes folder (in yourhomefolder/Music), containing the iTunes Music folder and the iTunes Library file, should do the trick.

Best thing, though is to make a clone of your entire home folder, either just copying it over or using something like SuperDuper, CCC or SilverKeeper. Then you'd also would preserve your Mail and browser contents and preferences.

Also: A quick search or even browse should give you a lot of threads answering these questions and a lot others quite similar...