Transferring songs on my old PC to new MacBook. Help!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by laughingbabe16, Jun 3, 2006.

1. laughingbabe16 macrumors member

Jun 2, 2006
    So, in about a month I will be getting my first Mac computer, the new MacBook.

Anyways, with my rather small song collection in iTunes and on my iPod (the same collection of music, plus a few extra songs in iTunes) that is currently on my Compaq PC, how do I get my songs from this computer to the new MacBook?

I know I will have to install iTunes and the new updates on the MacBook, but how do I get my files from the PC to the Mac? Could I go into my iTunes folder and save the song files on my flashdrive, then upload the files into iTunes by importing them? This sounds like a good idea.

Feedback is appreciated! Thanks!
  2. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    You could always burn your songs to a CD and transfer them that way. The way I did it was by setting up a network at home that included a peer to peer connection between the two machines. I then transferred them that way. It took a while, but it worked.

Also, you could always do it the slow way and transfer them using some sort of flash drive.

Good luck!
  3. x86 macrumors regular

May 25, 2006
    Dearborn, MI
    If your PC and Mac are going to be networked together, you can enable file sharing in Windows and share out your music folder. From there, you can connect to your PC with your MacBook (Command + K on the Desktop) and then import your music with iTunes. If you need more specifics (How to enable file sharing, etc.) let me know.
  4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2005
    South of the border
    Copying to a flash drive is probably the easiest option (if you're not networked) and very straightforward. Ensure "copy to music folder when adding.." is checked under iTunes > Preferences > Advanced: General; then go to File > "Add to Library.." and choose your mounted flash drive.
  5. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 2, 2006
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the VERY fast replies. If I have any more questions, i'll be sure to post. Again, thank you!:D
  6. zack.williams macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2006
    how do you import the songs and the playlists? possibely at the same time?
  7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
  8. da_alchemist macrumors member

Sep 11, 2003
    Thanks Eraserhead. I read your guide. Just a question though, would your method work for moving iTunes-protected music files bought from the iTunes Music store?
  9. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    You can copy the files to as many computers as you like and import them into iTunes. When you try to play the songs, you have to authorise the computer, and you can only authorise five computers at a time. If someone else who doesn't have access to your iTunes account tries to copy and play the music, they can copy it, but they can't play it.
  10. da_alchemist macrumors member

Sep 11, 2003
    Thanks a lot!