Transferring "stuff" from old PB to new one

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rbro, Jan 4, 2004.

1. rbro macrumors member

Nov 20, 2003
    I'm about to abandon my trusty old Lombard G3 in favor of a new 15" G4 PB (YEAH!!!!!) and I'll need to move a bunch of stuff from the old machine to the new. Now back in the old days, they used to tell you to just move your documents etc. and re-install all your apps, Is this still the preferred way to do things in the OSX era? The biggest deal for me is I'll need to move my Entourage email and my Safari bookmarks. Can I move my entire home directory or something to the new machine or is that not a good idea? I don't want to bring ove rany corrupted prefs or anything like that. Do I just hook up a firewire cable between the 2 PB's? Any help on the best way to do all of this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Once you get your new PB, you can turn on the old one, and as soon as you hit the power button, press and hold the 'T' key. Keep holding it until you have a blue screen with a y shaped symbol on it. Then plug a firewire cable between the two powerbooks, and your old powerbook will come up as a hard drive on the new powerbook's desktop. From there you can copy files over. When I got my new computer I actually found it nice to be able to start afresh, but you can copy over the contents of your home directory, and the contents of /Library/Preferences to your new computer to keep your prefs.