Transferring to a new mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aschocken, May 9, 2006.

1. aschocken macrumors newbie

I’m a first time poster here at MacRumors, but I’ve learned a ton from all of you. I’m basically a mid-level Mac user; I know enough to keep a Final Cut system running smoothly, but I’m not going to be able to debate the pros and cons of processor architecture or VNC apps.

The reason I’m posting is that I just ordered an intel iMac for my mom, and I have to transition her from her G4 cube to the new machine, and I’m trying to figure out the best way to do it. Her cube is backed up through Retrospect (at least it’s backed up as far as the last time I visited home) to an external firewire drive. Her system is all buggy and corrupt, and obviously I don’t want bring those problems along. Should I use the target disk mode to transfer documents/photos/apps, or perhaps transfer the files to the hard drive first and then to the imac? I guess it would be best to do a clean install of any apps, but I worry about how to access the associated files (such as the ical or address book databases).

Sorry it’s such a broad question. Any ideas? Maybe a guide somewhere that lays it all out? Thanks…

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can use Migration Assistant to move a variety of different files and/or settings across to the new Mac however, since the old one is so messed up, I'd think about manually doing this. I'd still use Target Disk Mode because it's fast, but I'd only transfer the documents, music etc. Then, I'd manually reinstall the apps.

iCal and Address Book have a Back Up function in the File menu which is very good. It'll give you a single file for each of the two apps which you can then transfer to the new Mac, and use the Revert To Back Up feature to get everything back. :)