transferring VHS onto powermac

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Foxer, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I just took delivery of a new powermac and want to use it to transfer some old VHS tapes onto DVD. What do I need to get to connect the VCR to the Mac? I have FCP if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help.

(I'm sure this has probably been covered somewhere, so I'm sorry if this repeats.)

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Try a Formac Studio, http://www.formac.com , or any other DV converter. Just make sure they are good quality and FireWire.

3. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Definitely Formac Studio... Definitely

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

er Formac studio is a one solution... but not necessarily the best.

Basically, you need to convert the VHS signal into something that FCP or iMovie can handle. iMovie and FCP handles "DV" => Digital Video stream - which is a specific format.

In order to convert it you can buy a box such as the Formac Studio...

or most Digital Video cameras will do it for you as well. If you're going to spend $300 for the studio, you may just want to splurge to get a full DV Cam.

arn

5. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

good point...

Arn has a very good point. The Formac is pricey and a new DV camera can do the same. However, on the other end of that argument, if you are doing alot of converting, and need to do it in a short amount of time, the Formac really is a good investment. I have both a formac and a DV camera and I have been using the formac nearly every time now (for converting VHS tapes). You have to have a good VCR too. Well, you don't have to, but it helps with quality.

Hope this helps!

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hollywood bridge is a easy way to get em into your mac, we have one and it was simple. rca connections and a firewire. simply connect your vcr or camcorder to the hollywoodbridge via rca connectors, one video and one audio unless you have stereo out. then firewire into the mac and presto! imovie works with this without a hitch. you can then edit and do whatever you want to do. You can even edit the film and then record the final product back on vhs if thats what you want to do.