Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your opinion of Transformers (the movie)?

• Great!

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Good

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Disappointing

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Have not seen it

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Deefuzz said:
It was the s-bomb...and it was when Bumblebee and Spike fired a warhead at Unicron and it didn't leave a scratch...and the Spike said: "Oh sh*t what are we gonna do?!?" and then their ship gets sucked in. :D

LMAO! Deefuzz you got an awesome memory!!!! I remember that line.
That original movie ruled. What was really cool was the theme track was created by a group called RUSH. They lived in the same neighborhood as me, North York, Ontario in Toronto. Heck they even went to the same high school; Newtonbrooke S.S. I almost got the lead singer to autograph my copy of the DVD for my cousin back then, just while he was moving. Bummer.

Seriously though I'm worried about this movie. I loved the original run of the series up until the ape Optimus and team finish the war with the spark Megatron and CyberTron went all green on the outside. The next gen of the series is like watching the Smurfs Gargamell hanging out with the Care Bears and Herself The Elf.

Anyone know what company did the CG animation of the last season of the original run of Transformers? Right after the Beasties or Beast Wars, not sure which.

The toys now really suck in terms of quality & design.

Old toys owned: Swoop, MixMaster, MegaTron (original). Couldnt find Rachet or IronHide; was really sad that he died so quick in the movie.

I did have the pleasure to see Omnicron toy, fully transformed at about 3 feet tall. Rings and all. must've been a nightmare to transform that puppy. ;)

Anyone remember the 2nd season cartoon on Buffalo 29? How Starscream was the same voice as GI Joes Cobra Commander, lol.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Day 2 Update

News from CNN.

Big names with 'Transformers'

"Transformers," the popular cartoon and toy franchise, is being transformed into a live-action film by director Michael Bay, screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci and executive producer Steven Spielberg.

"Under the direction of Michael Bay, and with Steven Spielberg executive producing, we know that 'Transformers' is going to be the kind of explosive action movie that is perfect for the height of the summer movie season," DreamWorks head of distribution Jim Tharp said in statement Wednesday.

The movie is set for a July 4, 2007, release. No casting decisions have yet been announced.

"Transformers," which debuted in 1984, featured battling "robots in disguise" with names such as Optimus Prime, Megatron and Override. They could convert into vehicles such as tanks, fire trucks, jet fighters and helicopters.

The TV show earlier spawned a 1986 animated movie that, oddly enough, included narration from Orson Welles in one of his last performances.

Bay, 40, has also directed "Armageddon," "Pearl Harbor" and "The Island," which hits theaters July 22.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
So now, Megatron is a tank and Soundwave is a helicopter. My question is, is this Transformer:The Movie, or a movie about transforming robots? This does not look good for the TF franchise.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Lacero said:
So now, Megatron is a tank and Soundwave is a helicopter. My question is, is this Transformer:The Movie, or a movie about transforming robots? This does not look good for the TF franchise.

It is still far too early to say - we'll just have to wait and see and hope for the best! I for one am looking forward to it... :cool:

thevessels

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
im sure everyones seen this ... still awesome though
snaps_optimus-prime.jpg

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Please, keep it true to the original story.

No Armada, Energon or Beast Wars.

Also, people try and read the Dreamwave comics that came out before they went bankrupt.

Very well writain and fantastic artwork.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
As an anime fan, I will say that the new anime Transformers shows SUCK.

This sounds great. Hoping for a good Beast Wars movie the most, though ... :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Tamer Brad said:
This sounds great. Hoping for a good Beast Wars movie the most, though ... :)

No, not Beast Wars! Nothing holds a candle to the original Transformers. Case closed. :cool:

But, I suppose everyone has different tastes, so fair enough... ;)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Executive producer Steven Spielberg talks about the new Transformers movie. I don't have the transcript but the video is available on the home page of Transformers Live. Cool to hear from the head honcho himself.

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Is nothing from my childhood sacred?!!?!?

I was in Toy R Us the other day buying gifts and noticed that Megatron was no longer a gun... Got kinda depressed...

/still remembers having Megatron and 'shooting' the neighbor kids....

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Lacero said:

I can understand both of these amazingly enough. By making Megatron a tank they allow him to keep his signature arm cannon, but also give him mobility which was sorely lacked when he was a gun. Now that I think about it. The gun idea always has been a bit lame. What is he gonna do once transformed? sit there? He always needed one of his lackeys to fire him in gun mode. And of course it allows for an 18-wheeler/tank car chase this way.

Soundwave suffers from much the same problem, immobility when transformed. He would also seem very dated if they stayed true to the original. A square tape deck? Maybe they should make him an iPod :D. I will miss the little tape critters though.

msbsound

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Charlotte, NC
May be out of luck

atszyman said:
Darn it I missed that, the worst I can remember from that move was the "Open d*mn it, open!" line. Of course I was desensitized to most swearing at a young age.

Gonna have to find my old VHS copy of the movie and watch it now....

I am pretty sure that they removed "the word" from the VHS release. I know that the copy I had as a kid did not have it. The DVD does in fact keep "the word" in. Really sad when you look at what cause a stir back then and now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.