TransGaming's Cider... Gaming for Intel Macs

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Aug 3, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

InsideMacGames reports on TransGaming's announcement of a software portability engine called Cider.

Cider allows video game developers to deploy their Windows-based titles to Apple's new Intel-based Macs quickly and easily without the need for "traditional" porting.

According to the press release, this portability engine could allow publishers to release to both Windows and Mac simultaneously, ending the long delays that Mac users have come to expect with gaming titles.

Cider requires no changes to the original source code. Instead, Cider actually loads the Windows-based game and links them to a set of optimized Win32 APIs. The process is similar to how WINE/CrossOver works allowing users to run Windows applications under Mac OS X without emulation.

These games, of course, would not run on PowerPC Macs, and could have consequences with Mac-focused developer companies which have provided porting services in the past.

2. macrumors 6502

boncellis

Could this mean an end to the whining within these hallowed halls?

It's the end of an era. ;)

3. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Awesome. Now if only games didn't run slower under OS X in the first place.

4. macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

5. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Maybe some DirectX to OpenGL overhead. :(

I don't see that happening. I don't see CURRENT OS X game developers just giving up. It's not like they're porting games. They already have an established fan base and are making games natively for OS X.

6. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't know if this is very good news or very bad news... Depends on how well it works and how easy it makes things for developers I guess. If i am lucky enough to get to play NWN2 because of this, I'll be a happy camper.

7. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

THis is good news. Puts to rest one of the big three anti-mac arguments:

1. No software - bootcamp
    2. No games - cider
    3. Expensive - YGWYPF

8. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

No kidding. Ever heard of WoW running up to 20 fps faster under windows on an Intel iMac than under OS X? I'll look for the link

9. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Would be nice if they could still concentrate on bringing out quality Mac versions of popular games. I hope this only adds to the range available and not swallow up native development.

Oh well, this is still great news. We'll see however.

10. macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

If this works, I would be quite happy. I could delete my windows partition! Weee! Now, if it weren't 105 outside...when are we going to see the iWeather?

11. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Alcohol is not the solution to a problem :p

12. macrumors regular

13. macrumors 65816

???

WoW on Mac OS X on an Intel Mac still uses OpenGL, DirectX doesn't come into play... so I don't understand your statement.

14. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

How does this differ from WINE? Doesn't WINE do the same exact thing?

Starforce? Will our macs end up with CD-ROM issues due to driver crap like XP has?

15. macrumors regular

nsjoker

<sarcasm> oh yeah, i'm sure games will run really well with this </sarcasm>

16. macrumors 65816

This likely means Windows like UI (in behavior maybe not look... it wont follow Mac OS X behaviors well)... luckily most games are almost 100% in game UI rendered via OpenGL.

17. macrumors 65816

It sounds like WINE (likely is WINE based) but likely more focused on the subset of WIN32 that most game stick to using.

18. macrumors 6502a

hahahah! Yeah i'd wait for some real world benchmarks before I get too happy.

19. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Well I can't say that it's 100% without a doubt true but I've heard alot of comments from people that can agree with me.

Also, http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/games/mac_wow_performance.html

A quote from the article:

20. macrumors 65816

The performance gain exists... I wasn't questioning that... I was questioning the context of your post.

21. macrumors newbie

Timeframe

Maybe I missed it, but when is it going to be released?

22. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's not a consumer product, it is for developers, and there are developers that already have it in their hands.

23. macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

Well, here i think a couple things:

1- This could be great. more games for macs (intels)
    2- can i say it again, more games for the mac
    3- Native development shouldnt be dead, because my bet is this software will run a little slower than native windows games on windows. so performance games will have a reason to develop for mac. ie, ID games

Apple should have some tricks up it's sleeves regarding gaming as well. I bet a real program to push it, including more gaming high end graphics type macs.

24. macrumors 65816

So far it only states it provides Win32 APIs... nothing about DirectX stated (I don't really think of DirectX as part of the Win32 API set). This makes me wonder if it attempts to provide DirectX APIs or not.

If not then this product only makes the porting of games that use (or can use) OpenGL (and things like OpenAL for audio) a little easier. Personally in my experience not that much easier... it is relatively trivial to rework Win32 based UI (and lower level stuff like file access) with a Cocoa UI and use of POSIX API.

The main issue for many games is the exclusive use of DirectX.

25. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Shawnce, I think it must provide DirectX APIs, otherwise it would be practically worthless. Games that don't use DirectX are much easier to port to begin with.