Transit of Mercury

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This coming Wednesday (November 8, 2006), Mercury will pass in front of the sun. This is called a Transit of Mercury, and it happens, on average, only about once a decade. The last one was May 2003. The next one will be May 2016.

The transit will take place mid-day Pacific Time (11:12AM to 4:10PM). The best viewing will be over the Pacific ocean and its shores, including the Western U.S., eastern Asia, and our friends in Australia and New Zealand.

You'll need a telescope and the right eye protection to see it. Better yet, watch a webcast.

See details here.

Note: MacRumors will not be switching to macrumorslive to cover this event, but I think it's worth following anyway. ;)

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Make sure you also use left eye protection if you plan to look at it with that eye.

Very cool...I don't have a telescope to look at it myself, but I'm sure there will be some cool pictures around the web afterwards.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

This stresses me out mildly, if only because it makes me wonder about where the hell I'll be in 2016. If I'm still teaching these kids, I'm gonna freak out.

I hope MR is still around in 2016. I mean, it could survive nuclear war, right?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wow, thanks for that. Luckily, that day I'll visiting a guy with two solar telescopes. What a nice coincidence! :D

Although I'm sure I'll also be watching the feed from Kitt Peak (a place I am quite familiar with, but unfortunately have never visited :().

5. vniow macrumors G4

You will either be piss us or against us by 2k16.

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Don't worry. If you are in an asylum in 2016, you can wait for the Transit of Mercury in 2019.

Yes, of course. MacRumors and its members are just like cockroaches. :cool:

7. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I prefer just to think i'll be underwater

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Nice analogy Doctor Q. :p ;) :D

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you wear welding goggles (usually used for Oxy-acetylene) and a welding mask (various types of arc welding) together, you can look at the sun. BEWARE though, it requires certain tints on the lenses, and I don't remember the numbers offhand.

10. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Are you kidding? With an avatar like that, you'll be the first to go! :D