Transition question in FCP???? (pics included)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Jan 6, 2006.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I have a couple of clips that I want to add a video transition in between and for some reason I cant add a transition between one. The error I get is "insufficient content" I used the razor tool to cut those apart now how do I put them back together?

here are the clips that I'm trying to put a transition between
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to put a transition between the clips without the red arrows around them-where the playhead is in the first pic. How do I do that? Also, how do I go making the clips one big clip or one clip instead of many ones? I tried hitting the link button, but I don't even really know what that means. Please help.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That $999 program you are using came w/a very in-depth and easy to understand manual. Everything you are asking is covered in it.

Lethal

3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

i actually tried looking in the manual, but it's no good if you don't know what the proper name of something you're trying to do is....not even the index can help you then

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

ok I just read the whole section on transitioning and it didn't help me at all for what i'm trying to do...with all of the directions it's assuming that you can actually add a transition which i cant....anybody know why or want to help? thanks

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm referencing the FCP 5 manual so it might be different if you are using a previous version.

Look up "transitions" and then "applying". Once you flip to the right part of the book pay close attention to where it talks about "handles."

Look up "razor blade tool" and read for a couple of pages. It will tell you how to rejoin that clip you cut w/the razor blade tool.

Look up "link" so you'll know what that command does.

To make all the clips into one big clip you can either export the timeline out of FCP into a QT movie then import the QT movie or you can do what's called "nesting" (which is basically putting one sequence inside of another).

Lethal

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Right click on the cut with the Selection Tool and choose Join Through Edit. That'll join them back up. You could also move the playhead to the previous edit (Up Arrow), select the next edit (with the red arrows), and press E. That'll extend the edit to where your current playhead sits.

As for not being able to add transitions and getting the "insufficient content" message, it simply means your incoming or outgoing clip doesn't have enough frames to do a transition. You can roll your clips to provide more handle frames or cut away from a clip start or end.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks so much lacero! what you said made so much sense....the problem was with the particular transition I was trying to do I needed more frames in the clip...so basically it was just too short when I recorded it....so I just put in a different clip and it worked great...the join through edit thing is wonderful too

8. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

damn, there you go. that was the first thing i was going to mention, and i thought a quick skim over the replies would be an idea, and of course, lacero's beaten me to it. Hmph. :rolleyes:

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios