Transitive Corp. and Apple?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by burger011, Feb 8, 2005.

1. burger011 macrumors regular

Has anyone ever heard of them?

http://www.transitive.com/

My understanding is that they give users the ability to use any program on any competer (no matter the OS or chip used) and that its NOT an emulator.

Could be wrong but that is what it seems like. Anyway... here is a line from there website:

"We anticipate that a second computer OEM will deploy products enabled by our technology in early 2005 and that others will deploy QuickTransit before the end of the year. Unfortunately, strict confidentiality obligations prevent us from saying more about these relationships at this time."

Any chance we could see this introduced with TIGER?

one never knows.

burger

2. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

3. burger011 thread starter macrumors regular

macosrumors....

not good for "rumors" when it shows up on that website. But I think there is still possibilty that we might see something between the two companies.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So just to play devil's advocate, isn't this what Java already offers the world?

5. Bear macrumors G3

Pretty much.

And I bet the "code" generated is actually a psuedo code that has to go through an interpretter on the machine it's being run on.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Exactly...it pretty much has to be. But admittedly, depending on how much variability is allowed, this could actually be a lot faster or slower, as that psuedo code becomes more or less similar to real machine code.... Like Java is actually not so slow with a fully truly AWT interface, but when you add Swing or custom widgets or whatever, it starts to tank....