Translate single words in Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by NikkiJayne, Dec 10, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

I am learning Swedish and whist I can read a good portion, sometimes I will come across a word I don't know. On Chrome I had Google's own dictionary extension installed which would translate a word into English when I double tapped it. Does anyone know of a similar extension for Safari or a way to configure the dictionary app so when I three-finger tap a foreign word it could give me the translation?

2. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

Just take a look through the Translation Extensions for Safari and see if you like any. You're probably not going to be able to use the three-finger tap without using a third-party program like BetterTouchTool to reprogram that, but certainly you can get translations a bunch of ways.

jW

3. macrumors member

Did you end up finding a decent extension?

The apple site still doesn't seem to have a decent one-word translation extension...

4. macrumors 6502

robertosh

Well, it's an old post but i reply cause i've been looking for something like that and i've found this extension that works decently:

igTranslator for Google

Once installed, you simply select the text and a link icon for the translation appears, click on it and a popup with the translation appears.