Translation Widget not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mduser63, May 20, 2005.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

My translation widget isn't working. It just says "data unavailable" every time I type something in. Is it working for other people? I'm thinking that maybe the server(s) it uses is down.

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Same problem here...

3. iBunny macrumors 65816

Mine dosent work offline and I cant get online with my iBook :(

I was hoping that I dont have to connected to the internet to use the translator. I would be upset....

4. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I'm pretty sure you need to be online, it would be a lot more than a "widget" if it stored all of those translations locally, so unfortunately it looks like you will have to be upset. :rolleyes:

5. iBunny macrumors 65816

They have the dictonaty and theasurus and stuff stored on the computer. They should with the translator too

6. rowanhall macrumors member

mine too!

the graphics are screwed on mine too, and a cursor won't come up in any of the text boxes! i dont know whats up!

the only thing i've done regarding dashboard is install the following widgets: imdb search, wikipedia, uk yellow pages and network stat.

frustrated!

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ahhh, I once had this same problem as well.

Go search for

widget-com.apple.widget.translation.plist

either in Spotlight, or in HOME>LIBRARY>PREFERENCES

Open the plist file and change the "fromlanguage" value to a 3, and the "tolanguage" value to 4. Save change if asked to do so.

Go into Dashboard, remove the Translator widget, then add it back onto your dashboard.

Yes, its a bug, and this is pretty much the only solution for now. It screws up especially if you're using the Chinese translators (either traditional or simplied).

8. rowanhall macrumors member

genius!

thanks for pointing me to that file! i just deleted it and re-opened the widget to recreate the file and all is fixed!

cheers! :)

9. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I got the same, but it's working again now anyway - server-side problem methinks - hope this isn't a common thing!
    EDIT: if anything, it's a lot faster - like how it looked when jobs did it!

10. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

Interesting, as before I posted started this thread I also had the problem with it getting completely messed up (background image messed up, and completely non-functional), but trashing the preferences and restarting fixed that. I was trying to translate some Chinese when that occurred. I suppose I should report the bug to Apple.

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Woo, huge bump-age for the thread, but this fixes it! I can finally pretend to know spanish again!! :) :)

12. tangent23 macrumors newbie

thanks! i had this problem earlier, i knew it would be something simple but don't know enough about tiger to know what i can throw out etc..

cheers!@

13. tangent23 macrumors newbie

i guess the question now becomes what process is causing this to happen to only some users..

[and how do we avoid it in future ;)]

14. marvbloke macrumors newbie

marvbloke

15. a__coles macrumors newbie

how do u open the file?

HOW DO U OPEN THE FILE UP IT ASKS ME TO CHOSE A APPLICATION TO OPEN THE FILE I CAN'T FIND WHICH TO USE?

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There's a separate program you can download to open .plist files. Have a search at VersionTracker.com. :confused:

Otherwise, some people, including myself, have XCode installed on our Macs which allows us to just double click .plist files and get them to open.

17. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Like some other people has noted, you can also just trash the file and it will be created again after you remove and add the widget again.

(Please don't write in all caps, it's like yelling.)

18. SebZen macrumors 6502

Got to bump this very old thread but since yesterday my widget also says data unavailable. Is it just me?

19. saskmacman macrumors newbie

Not working either for me

Nope, not working for me either, even after following all the steps....:confused:

20. moh2o macrumors newbie

No more spanish translation

Nope same with me. Translator used to work back when I first got my 2006 MacBook, it worked for a bout a year then ,,,,poof , it suddenly got worse and worse. And if this has been a problem for so long, why does not Apple fix it. I mean come on it has been so long.
    Won't even translate English to Spanish anymore.

21. atthesing macrumors newbie

I took Abstract's advice, and it worked.

My Translation widget wasn't working, and my plist looked like this in text edit:
    bplist00“\fromLanguageZtoLanguageQ3Q4
    %'