Translucency on iPad 4

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by syd430, Aug 17, 2013.

1. syd430, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013

Has anyone else completely lost the translucent effect on their keyboard on the iPad 4? All the discussions that i've read through about this seem to refer to the the iPad 2/3/Mini and not the 4.

Edit: Yes "increase contrast" is switched off.

2. macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Yes, all keyboards have been unblurred.
    Lucky you, on iPad 2/3 there is no blur at all...

3. Guest

4. Guest

Can anyone with an ipad 4 with beta 5 or higher post if their keyboard is translucent or solid?

5. macrumors 603

Tyler23

Settings-->general-->accessibility-->increase contrast-->turn off

6. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

To the best of my knowledge beta 4 only took away translucency on iPad 2 and 3 not mini or 4

7. Guest

Yes it's off. That setting also turns off all translucency, not just the keyboard.

Do you have an ipad 4 with beta 5 or higher? What does your keyboard look like?

8. macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

I don't wanna be that guy to ask you this but here it goes :
    Are you sure you have the 4th generation iPad, not the 3rd ? They look the same.
    Apple disabled the "frosted" look on the 2nd and 3rd gen, not the 4th.

9. Guest

Haha yes it's definitely the 4th gen, unless I have an ultra rare 3rd gen with a lightning port :D

do you have an ipad 4 running b5 or higher?

10. macrumors regular

The keyboard lost its translucency and frosted effect, the rest of the OS is still blurred. Honestly I think it's better this way.

It's on the beta 4 release notes, they tweaked translucency across all devices.

11. macrumors member

Septillion

I'm heart-broken. It really hurts. Using an iPad 3 and the f+++ing translucency just don't work.

12. macrumors member

crammedberry

I feel you... got an iPad 3 that can't even handle what the mini can.

13. macrumors regular

MagicHAM

I discovered this by accident and finally turned off the transluscent effects. They are horrible.

14. macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 4 and hear I wont get translucency on that, anyone got any screenshots of iPhone 4 and 5 side by side so I know what the difference is?

15. macrumors 6502

gomoq13

The iPhone 4S gets all the translucent effects, but the iPad 3 does not. I don't get it. iPad 3 internals is better than that iPhone, isn't it? Hmm ...

16. macrumors regular

Futurix

Good god, did people learn nothing from iPhone 4?

When Apple switched to retina displays for iPhone, the amount pixels went up (4 times more pixels) but GPU wasn't 4 times more powerful to handle that - hence iPhone 4 was relatively underpowered in graphics department. Exactly the same thing happend to iPad 3 - 4 times more pixels, GPU not powerful enough.

In both cases follow-ups (iPhone 4S, iPad 4) fixed the problem. You can say that the same thing can even be extrapolated to first gen retina MacBooks (and this is also the reason why I won't buy first gen retina iMac or first gen retina iPad mini).

P.S. This is of course an off-topic. I have no idea why iPad 4 has this issue - perhaps large area of keyboard meant that even iPad 4 couldn't handle it well enough? Don't forget that transparency/translucency is one of the most taxing things in graphics.

17. macrumors 6502

The differences on which effects work and which don't on the various devices is really stupid.

iPad 2 = iPad mini but iPad mini gets all effects and iPad 2 does not.

iPad 3 was supposed to have much higher performance than iPad 2 (graphics hardware at least), but now has less effects than the mini.

I am guessing it is either that the iPad 2 and 3 have less efficient hardware and battery life would suffer if all these graphical effects were applied, OR you know.... Apple wants to sell new hardware.

18. macrumors member

And yet the 2 which has the same hardware as the Mini also lacks it. Either Apple wants to make these older models look dated down to the UI level or iOS 7 development for the iPad is one spectacular confusing trainwreck so maybe the effect might might return by the time they push the inevitable update that fixes up 7 for iPad.

19. macrumors regular

It's simple really. You have got to take resolution into account.

With iPad 2, GPU drives little bit under 800 000 pixels.
    With iPad 3, GPU needs to drive more than 3,2 million pixels - 4x the amount of iPad 2. GPU/CPU in iPad 3 is not 4x as fast as in iPad 2. Hence, iPad 3 GUI IS a bit slower than in the previous model.

20. macrumors member

The iPad 2 and the iPad Mini have the same GPU and push the same number of pixels so why is one getting this thing and not the other?

21. macrumors member

Septillion

Seems like Apple is about to give up old users. iPad 3 really sucks. iWork will only be free to new-bought devices.

----------

Yeah, great. I've got the first-gen Retina iPad and the first-gen rMBP. Did I just make the worst decisions on the planet? Seems like the disappearance of translucency is not about performance. Before beta 5, they look great and work fluently.

22. macrumors 68040

Because putting better graphics effects on the iPad 2 than on the iPad 3 would be admitting that the iPad 3's GPU was underpowered.

23. macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

And what are they admitting now? That they are money-focused bastards? Making hardware look outdated and old next to the same hardware in a shiny new case?

24. macrumors 65816

TroyBoy30

can someone post comparison screenshots? ive turned that setting on and off and have yet to see any difference

25. Guest

WeegieMac

I feel sorry for iPad 3 owners, being one myself up until three months ago. The A5X really is showing it wasn't good enough for that display and the resolution it packs.

The keyboard isn't supposed to be translucent, not in Safari anyway. It's a plain grey background with white keys on iPad 4 and my iPhone 4s, both of which have full translucency and blur effects throughout the OS.

I've told my wife, who now has my iPad 3 as well as an iPhone 4, not to upgrade from iOS 6 ... the performance hit and slower devices would see her make my life a living hell! :D