Translucent DVD playback?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by WabeWalker, Jun 14, 2006.

1. WabeWalker macrumors member

About three years ago I saw a demonstration on television in which a DVD movie was playing over top of a word processor. The movie itself was translucent, and could be adjusted accordingly. How cool is that, I thought.

Well, I now own a MacBook, and one of the first things I've tried to do is recreate that translucent effect I saw three years ago.

Alas, I cannot figure out how to enable translucency for my DVD player?

2. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

You can do that with the VLC player:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Just start your video, go to the "Window" menu and select "Extended Controls" - then click "Adjust Image" and adjust the transparency with the "Opaqueness" slider.

EDIT: also, you can choose "Float on top" from the "Video" menu to keep your video floating above all other applications... so you can type in your word processor, but still have the video window in front of other windows.

3. WabeWalker thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I don't seem to have an option for 'float on top' in my video menu. Does the MacBook allow for this option, I wonder?

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's called "Always on top" now, and yes, the MacBook does--there's no fancy graphics involved in just holding a window on top of all the others. Even if it didn't it would still show up in VLC--it's not that smart about what hardware it's running on in terms of the vast number of options it shows.

5. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

The other option is using a haxie by unsanity, called windowshadex. Its $10 but there is a public beta for the universal version.

6. WabeWalker thread starter macrumors member

Select 'Always on top'?

Okay, I must be stupid, because I can't find even this. Half size, Normal size, Maximum size, then Full Screen, and finally Deinterlace are the only options showing up in the Video menu.

7. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I don't want to start a haxie holy war but I would much rather use VLC than install any haxies. And I would never encourage new users to mess with them. :(

WabeWalker look at the pic I attached.

Attached Files:

8. WabeWalker thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I get it. I thought that you were talking about the DVD player that's a part of OSX.

So the demonstration of the translucent DVD player that I saw three years ago wasn't actually native to OSX - I didn't know that.

I seem to recall that the person giving the demonstration was actually a representative from Apple.

(Edit: I actually downloaded this VLC program, and yes the translucency thing does work - the problem is that as soon as I actually mouse onto a part of my word processor, the application switches from my word processor to VLC (because it's on top), meaning that I can operate my word processor and my DVD concurrently, but only if I don't use the mouse to move around in my word processor! Also, VLC, unlike the OSX native DVD player, keeps on spinning the DVD so that it makes an absolutely ghastly noise, which drives me nuts.)

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ah, it says "Always on top" in the prefs, but "Float on top" in the menu. Didn't catch the nuance when I said that.

You're seriously complaining that you can't click around to type in your word processor beneath a transparent DVD window?

I understand the showoff appeal of being able to type behind a transparent window like that, but isn't asking for real functionality a little much, considering that this has essentially zero practical use. (At least, I hope--are there people in the world who really want to edit text THROUGH a playing video? It's distracting enough having a video running onscreen at the same time as you're working on a document, and working through the video has got to cause some kind of brain damage. Or, at the very least, make the video less fun to watch and your writing less coherent.)

As for VLC cranking up the DVD drive, there's not much that can be done about that as far as I know--it's due to the way it reads data.

10. WabeWalker thread starter macrumors member

No, seriously, I actually can read text and watch video concurrently. I work as a copy editor, and, depending on the particular task that I'm performing, I don't actually have to understand what I'm reading. In order to parse a sentence, and understand its grammar, I need only understand the syntax of the grammar itself.

Every now and then I actually do have to type things into my word processor since professional writers actually do, every now and then, make mistakes. (That's a joke, by the way - I almost never recieve a 'professional document' that isn't full of errors.)

Yes, I would agree with you that if you were writing, say, a letter to your boss then it would be pretty difficult to write and watch a DVD movie at the same time - in fact, I'm guessing that that would be almost impossible.

Still, for what I'm doing, a DVD movie can really help to make a tedious task a lot more enjoyable.

And, yes, I almost always have the DVD player on or the television app. running or iTunes playing while I'm editing material. In fact, about the only thing that really distracts me is absolute silence!

11. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight