Transmissiion problem - bittorent client

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boneca, Sep 14, 2006.

1. boneca macrumors 6502

Hi guys, sorry if this was covered before, I couldn't find. Anyway I've been using Transmission bittorent client for about a year after switching from always crashing on me Azureus. The client worked great all this time with almost no issues. Couple days ago the client stopped responding (all downloads/uploads) stopped and client hang, so I shut it down, restarted the mac and tried to open the client - nothing happened :mad: , I removed the software, restarted the mac, got new client from Transmission site installed it and guess, still nothing. I'm very confused as what could actually be the issue with this? I have switched to new version of Azureus last night with all the updated plugins, it ran all night but as far as I can tell from work right now looking at statistics on the trackers pages its down. :mad: I guess Azureus didn't make any big improvements for this past year.

Thanks all for advices.
    boneca

2. ginner macrumors member

Delete the Transmission preferences from the Library?

If it's still not working then try deleting the package Receipt before reinstalling?

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    hmmmm

Transmission works fine for me.

The new version of AZ works a thousand times better for me now.

Could your ISP have blocked your ports ??

odd that those two apps would both just stop working for no reason....

4. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the heads up on this. Could you please explain in a little more details as what I need to do to perferm the above mentioned steps.

5. ginner macrumors member

Sure.

The idea behind deleting the preferences file (Home>Library>Preferences>org.m0k.transmission.plist) is to eliminate any settings you may have imposed that are causing a problem with the program that prevents it opening properly. I once imposed a skin on VLC that prevented it opening and had to use this method, though I don't know which setting in Transmission could potentially do this?

I can't find a package receipt for transmission on my system, probably because it came as a standalone application rather than a package install?

Have you tried the transmission support forums?

Here

6. ginner macrumors member

I've never personally deleted an application cache, but This similar problem seems to recommend that as the next course of action?

Deleting all three files should allow you to reinstall the program and hopefully get it up and running again.

Try just the preferences first though, cause yourself as little hassle as possible.

7. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

ginner Thank you very much for all your help and research that you've done for me. I really appreciate this. After deleting the mentioned files I was able to run Transmission again.

Once again, thank you very much.

boneca

8. ginner macrumors member

That's OK, you're quite welcome; I'm pleased it's working again for you.