Transmission downloads

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jlevine31, Jan 2, 2007.

1. jlevine31 macrumors member

Hi-
    I just decided to make a switch for better or worse from auzureus to transmission for downloads. I'm just trying to get a sense about settings for it and would like to set it up for relatively maximal speed and also so that I can upload appropriately.
    It looks like the default port is 9090....should that get reset?
    Any suggestions at all would be appreciated!
    Jon

2. notwist macrumors regular

I just recently switched from Azureus to Transmission as well. I didn't mess with the Settings at all, and it's working fine for me.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm pretty sure that Bittorent ports are from 6880-6999 so choose any port number in that range and you'll be A-OK!

4. czeluff macrumors 6502

bad things

I have found some sites that tell you how Transmission blocks ALOT of things, or rather, servers block Transmisison.

Just yesterday, I switched from Azureus to a new beta client called BitRocket. It....is....amazing! Try it.

cz

5. reubs macrumors 68000

A question about Transmission. I recently switched from using BitTorrent as my client to Transmission, and since then A LOT of my .torrent files are coming through with errors. Is this because I switched clients midway or because I moved destination folders midway or is this just bad luck?

Thanks in advance.

6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I think it's partly due to the switch.

Also, Transmission hasn't been acting too nicely as of late. I see dropped connections a lot recently.

7. reubs macrumors 68000

Well that sucks. Files completely DLed by Transmission have been fine, but files switched over are full of errors. This sucks b/c I don't want to look like I'm doubling "leeching" when I re-DL the torrents from the sites just to possibly get errors again.

Oh, well. It's not the end of the world.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

9. reubs macrumors 68000

I'm using 0.6.1. I've been using xACT to decode the .flac files, and that's where I'm getting the error messages. I may have messed up this whole thing but we'll see what happens.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

11. reubs macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm not really sure what I'm looking at there. I'm not too keen on using too much open source stuff. I went to transmission and "checked for updates" and got a message saying I was up to date.

12. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Oh, there's a 1343 out.

It's weird but my connection kept giving out with builds up to 1335. Maybe I should try it out.

13. reubs macrumors 68000

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I find that Azureus and Transmission are friendly with each other. I've started downloads in Transmission with only a 5-20% loss when picking them back up in Azureus. I really like version 0.7 of Transmission. The Inspector has been improved and you can save a copy of the torrent from the support file.

Latest version...
    http://chucker.mystfans.com/opensource/transmission/Transmission-0.7-svn-r1361.dmg

Changelog...
    http://chucker.mystfans.com/opensource/transmission/Transmission-0.7-svn-r1361-Changelog.txt