Transmission users (BiT) please answer here...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac000, Aug 30, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

.. So i'm trying to configure Transmission, (i'm down with my windows PC).

In windows i used BitTornado --> it gave me the option to select ports and showed me a colored circle indicating if everything was set up properly.

Now i don't need the circle to tell me if i am set up correctly, however it would be nice, because i'll just be able to tell under the download rate.

Anyways, Mac Bit Torrent users using TRANSMISSION: so under transmission/prefrences/network, do i type the "range of ports i would like to use"? example "9900-9904"?? bc it is only one block?

Secondly, all i have to configure on my Mac is "Firewall" under SYST PREF.? correct? And same, do i just type in the range of the ports i would like to use under the "TCP port numbers" seperated by a "-" sign? :confused: :)

2. mdickson macrumors regular

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Transmission is a lightweight client. It doesn't have a lot of configuration options (exactly why I like it). You should open the proper port(s) on your Firewall, but other than that, there's not much to configure. If you're looking for a more configurable, full-featured client, try Azureus. It has the green light that you mentioned too. The disadvantage to Azureus is that it's a lot "heavier". It uses more system resources. I used it for a long time, and it does work well.

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

transmission doesn't listen to a range of port at a time, it only listen to 1, so you can only put one in there...
    as to firewall, i think "-" is what you need to specify a range, but you better check the help file to make sure

5. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Enter the port number you want to use in the Transmission preferences (just one number).

I'm not sure about the firewall setup, since I don't use a firewall... I use a D-Link wireless router, and all you have to do with that is set up port forwarding for the same port number you entered into Transmission.