Transmit...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by twomiracles, Jan 11, 2007.

1. twomiracles macrumors regular

Is this REALLY the best ftp client available for a mac? If so, that will be the only thing I'll still do on my PC because it's awful.

I downloaded files to a folder on my computer, I could see them, I navigated out of the folder and back in and they weren't there...but they were. I couldn't see them, but when I went to download them again, it kept asking me if I wanted to replace them.

I'm really spoiled to cuteFTP, I absolutely loved it, but I am very opposed to running Windows on my Mac. Are there any better ftp clients out there?

Thanks!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That is really more of an ongoing flaw in OS X than Transmit. The Finder does the same thing.

3. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I use Fetch without a problem. It's the best I've used so far!

4. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

You know, iMeowbot, I noticed that, but didn't realize it was the OS. Yeah, I went to the folder via finder and also couldn't see the files. That is very strange.

Okay, I'll take a look at Fetch, but before I buy any FTP client, I'll probably just do it all on my PC 'cause I love the Windows one I use. Bummer, though...

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've tried Transmit and Fetch (and I own a licence for Fetch), but I now prefer Cyberduck. It's free! :D

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Somewhere in the "Mac-ish" interface to the filesystem, things sometimes get wedged somewhere and files seem to disappear (seems to be when more than one program is peeking at the folder while files are being added). All is well if you look in from the posix interface (the shell, or a generic Unix-y program). Things can be put right by deleting the affected folder's .DS_Store, but it sure would be nice if it didn't happen in the first place.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry you're having problems, but Transmit has always worked like a champ for me. I enjoy the many protocols it supports, but I especially enjoy the desktop droplets - I can create as many as I want, drag items onto them, and they all get copied to wherever the droplet was set up to put them... no additional effort needed.

8. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Jsw, if I ever start designing again where I'm uploading zips to the same place all the time, the droplets probably would be very cool. But I dislike that it resets permissions when I upload and I really dislike that I can't see what I've downloaded if I leave the folder. Oh, well, like I've said before, the Mac is for fun, so I'll just leave the work to do on the old PC :) .

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Perhaps you'd like CuteFTP for the Mac?

10. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Doesn't seem like that has anything to do with Transmit. Like others have said, some strange issue with the Finder. I've been using Transmit for 5 years and never had a single issue with it. And you prefer cuteftp over it? :eek:

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Nice link, I never realised that CuteFTP is available for Macs too, but the price... wow...

IMO I find Transmit has the best interface. Currently using YummyFTP though, which also works great, but its interface isn't as intuitive as Transmit's. Can't justing the kind of price Panic is charging for a mere FTP client though.

12. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

mduser63, that's awesome! It just never occurred to me that it was available for Mac.

radiant, perhaps it's just comfort with what I know, but yes, I like cuteFTP much better than transmit. I like that it keeps a list of all of the sites I upload to, I like that I can easily edit my files right there within another tab, I like the find and replace feature (for quickly changing stylesheets, mostly), I like, well, I just really like that ftp client. I guess, though, the thing to do is get the trial to make sure that all the features I love also work on the mac.

Thanks!

13. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Just FYI...navigating in and out of folders with cuteFTP, the files do NOT disappear. The Mac version doesn't have all of the functionality that the PC one does, but at least I can see the things I've downloaded. For my $29.99 (call them for this price if you already own the PC version, it's $39.99 without the discount), it's worth it just for that. I know you guys said that's an OS X thing, but apparently they've found a way around it because it just doesn't happen with cute.