Transmitting audio to a stereo system wirelessly?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by alex_ant, Apr 6, 2002.

1. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be possible to stream audio from my PowerBook to my stereo system without wires. I'm thinking I would need a computer near a stereo set up to receive audio from the PowerBook and send the audio out its analog or digital outputs to the stereo. Are there any computers designed for this? If not, can anyone recommend a decent, small, CHEAP, not blazingly-fast, dead-silent computer with modest power requirements to which I can add an 802.11b device and a semi-decent (but not pro level) sound card?

Also, assuming I'm streaming the audio over 802.11b Ethernet - what would be the best way to do that in terms of software?

Would it be a better idea to simply hook up some sort of wireless transmitter device to the headphone jack of the PowerBook and send the audio to the stereo that way?

I've thought about the IrDA port, but I don't think that would work due to line of sight issues.

Would this whole project be easy? Has anyone here done this before?

Thanks,

Alex

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yes

Yes, it has been done. Acutally, I have my old iMac 333 sitting as a music server hooked up to the stereo in our house. They are only about 10 feet apart, so it works good.

In your case...if there is some sort of "headphone jack" to "wireless reciever" I would check it out.

If not, I think you are going to need a little server by your stereo. Maybe some old, cheap computer with an external firewire drive and 802.11b? :D

3. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: Yes

How do you transmit audio your iMac music server? Is there an audio-over-Ethernet standard, or is there some kind of program that can stream audio over IP? (Or Appletalk, but preferably IP) I just want to be able to hit play in iTunes and have the sound fly magically through the air to my stereo. :)

I already have an old, cheap computer, although it is a bit loud for me. I would prefer total silence. In fact, I would like to take out all of its drives and use only a RAM disk, just for extra silence / reduced power consumption. I have all my music stored on my PowerBook, so the server doesn't really need more than (I would imagine) a couple hundred megs of drive space (just enough to hold a minimal OS and enough software to do the job). I am envisioning a Linux server here, although I don't know, perhaps there's a better choice...

Also, the computer I would be using for this job does not yet have an 802.11b card, but I could/would add one. Do you know if two 802.11b computers can communicate directly, or is a base station required?

Thanks for the reply,

Alex

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

802.11b

Yes, they can communicate without a base.

Say you have 2 computers with Airport cards, and you want to connect. Instead of choosing your base station, you choose "Computer-To-Computer" Network. This works so that the computers can talk without a base.

I am not sure at the moment how my iMac is hooked up to the stereo. I had my brother do it for me, but I was gone when he did it. I will find out tomorrow, I am quite tired at the moment.

I hope I answered your questions!

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

6. macaddict123k macrumors member

i have it and i works at best 20 -40 ft and i love it
    works great for my computer-stereo or mp3 player-stereo
    i paid $30 for it

7. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Wireless transmitter.

I have a wireless transmitter for audio and video. I originally bought it to transmit DVD to my TV but I use it for mp3 to my stereo as well.

I got it from Radio Shack for about $100 bucks. Not bad for what it does.

Matthew

8. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Wow... FM radio! I would have never thought of that! That iRock thing looks neat, and it's a lot less than I expected to have to pay for what I wanted to do... thanks everyone for your help!

Alex

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That is sweet, but on a different note, you should look into XM Satellite radio, the thing kicks ass (its only really available in the US right now, maybe Canada and Mexica - geosynchronous satellites).

100 stations of music, news, sports, talk etc. 40 or so are commercial free and its all CD quality. I have a Sony Plug and Play that I can use in the car and the house.

10. hicksypoo macrumors newbie

FM transmitters

I notice alot of the ipod accessory pages have FM transmitters now. That should work just the same. Prolly cheaper too since it's not Apple brand. I'm not sure what the range is though. :confused:

11. Stormyguy macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me if the iRock device will work in the UK - Apple Store here doesn't keep it so I am wondering if there is some kind of compatibility issue?

I am visiting the US soon so could easily pick one up there providing it'll be functional?

Any advice welcome.
    Danny

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: FM transmitters

Ouch... the range only goes down to 50hz. :( That's insufficient for my bass-thumping needs. :D

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I'm not 100% sure, but I'll take a stab at it... since in effect this little baby is broadcasting on FM frequency, albeit a weak signal, maybe there's laws in the UK that prevents devices like that from being sold?

Their web site does say that the product is not approved to be shipped outside of the U.S. and Canada, so that's probably it.

14. Stormyguy macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, yes I think we are not quite as liberated here in the UK as far as broadcasting on fm is concerned. I might grab this device when I come to the US in May and just try it anyways.....

I gone and gotten a cable for now - unfortunately my stereo is only about 3.5 metres away from my iMac but I have to run the cable approx 11-12 metres around two doorways - aarrgh!!!

Never mind should be good to whack out my iTunes through my amp and Tannoy speakers :D

15. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

From the official iRock store:
    "This product is not currently approved to ship outside the U.S. and Canada"

That sucks big time. Does anyone happen to know of something of this kind that sells in Australia? Highly unlikely, but worth a shot. I WANT ONE!