Transparency In Photoshop

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by mr?, Feb 9, 2007.

1. mr?
    macrumors member

Aug 29, 2006
    Hi guys.

I am in photoshop and have just cutout a picture. I want to save it to the desktop and have the background transparent so that i can use it as an icon. However, when i save it, it fills in the transparent background of my image in photoshop with a white canvas thing.

I am trying to use it as an icon but trouble is, iconbuilder isnt working with it for some reason and the iconbuilder with the developer tools does not allow me to use the actual image in candybar or manually do them. I dont know what to do and am in need of help
  2. macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    You need to use the templates in IconBuilder then save it as an .icns file in Icon builder. I struggled with this at first but if you read the iconbuilder instructions its quite easy once you figure it out.
  3. mr?
    thread starter macrumors member

Aug 29, 2006
    I'm not quite sure i know what you mean. I have followed the instructions but on the icons, there is still the white canvas background thing.
    The tutorial says open the file. Is it possible to do it from within photoshop with the image without a background there?? I press the button that should make the image appear in the ico boxes on the left but it does not do anything, the box stays empty
  4. macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
  5. macrumors 6502

Mar 17, 2005
    Save the image out of photoshop as a png file. Then drag and drop that sucker on one of the squares in iconcomposer. Thats it.
  6. macrumors regular

Jan 30, 2007
    That's a really cool plugin, I've never seen it before. Beautifully simple. I'll have to check that one out.
  7. macrumors regular

Even more simple but less control.
    from photoshop, save as png (or gif) with transparency onto your desktop.
    on the desktop select the image (there should show the icon)... daisy+i
    select the icon on the top of the info display (it get surounded by a blu allo) daisy+c then on the file you want your new icon daisy+i select the icon on the top... daisy+v

8. macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2005
    Diddily Daddily...
    um. ok, dont use GIFs. they're limited to 256 colour and dont support alpha transparency. use a 32bit PNG.

and the "dasiy" as you refer to it, is the command key sometimes referred to as the Apple key.
  9. macrumors member

Mar 23, 2010
    beautifully 404 for me
  10. macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    It's a post from 3 years ago. It's the internet, that happens.