1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Transparent furniture pads to protect the back of my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by BlackJacques, Apr 23, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I've never taken my iPad out of my home and I only rest it on table top surfaces that are smooth, glass or wood. I started noticing some very small scratches to the aluminum and the beginnings of dark, wear marks near the apple logo - presumably from rubbing. I rotate my iPad alot when it's put down.

I don't care for a case because I'm one of those that prefers the naked look. I do have a rubber grip case for my iPhone because I trust my self less to not drop that.

I went to the hardware store and bought these furniture pads to put on the back, near the corners, so my ipad never makes contact with the surface when I set it down. They're translucent so it looks less objectionable. I thought they were hard plastic. I'd wanted to still be able to rest it on a surface and rotate the iPad, but turns out they're softer rubber with a grip. After a day, I'm thinking I like it because there's less danger my dog would knock it off my coffee table.

I'm a little surprised Apple didn't mold some tiny protectors on the back as part of the aluminum. You see this all the time on hand held devices. I suppose they thought it would look less aesthetically pleasing, but it's a no brainer that a lot of people will rotate it or slide it to someone else when it's resting on a surface.

Cheers

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I2350609/name/pads_vinyl_clear_3_8_16cd

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Someone did this but they had a skin on the back. I would not stick these straight on the iPad, I'd apply a skin first.

3. macrumors newbie

I see your point. I didn't like the location I first put them on and moved them. The adhesion doesn't appear to be that strong. Even compensating for when the adhesion takes more, I don't think these particular ones will damage my iPad when I take them off, but I could see some other products being more of a problem.

4. Moderator

yellow

Staff Member

[Moved to iPad Accessories SubForum]

5. macrumors 6502a

Do you prefer the naked look too?