Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waffle Stomping

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
I would really love a transparent Mac SE. Unfortunately there were only ten made and I heard that only 8 survived. But anyway, is there a way i can get a clear Mac SE case?

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Just traded a few G4 Cubes for one

It's such a gorgeous machine. I can post more photos if people would like. I have the factory Mac SE manuals, System Disk, Utilities, User Guide, as well as travel case. It turns on and begins to boot...

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3054.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3057.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3058.jpg
    IMG_3058.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3059.jpg
    IMG_3059.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3060.jpg
    IMG_3060.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 107

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Thanks for that link

It didn't make the 25k starter price on ebay. :rolleyes:

From my research that it because it sold to a private collector. eBay is a good way to get your product to the masses but something this rare unusual sells private. Either way, for what I traded for it, I should be good. I hope to have it forever next to my very rare other mac pieces.

TAM (NIB)
Apple PowerCD (In box)
Apple Newton (In box)
Apple e300 Mate (In box)
iPod 1st generation (In box)
450Mhz G4 Cube (In box with factory plastic on Cube)
500Mhz G4 Cube (In box with factory plastic on Cube)
Apple Putter
Transparent Mac SE
Apple IIe (owned by Steve Jobs)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
TAM (NIB)
Apple PowerCD (In box)
Apple Newton (In box)
Apple e300 Mate (In box)
iPod 1st generation (In box)
450Mhz G4 Cube (In box with factory plastic on Cube)
500Mhz G4 Cube (In box with factory plastic on Cube)
Apple Putter
Transparent Mac SE
Apple IIe (owned by Steve Jobs)

nice collection.... with that said:

I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU... :eek:

;)

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
nice collection.... with that said:

I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU... :eek:

;)

:) I only collect items, in their boxes, or that are so rare finding a box is more difficult than finding the Mac itself. It's been a long time of collecting and I plan to acquire more. I plan on adding a:

Pixar Stock certificate
All in One
Original Apple TV (1994)
Walt

Anyone have any other suggestions?

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Is that the one that was in a news story? .. where it sure sounded like it was found in the Jackling House and apparently sold. It's got "S Jobs" engraved on the power supply.

In the news? That's news to me. Could you maybe send me a link for that?

Yes I found it in a dumpster outside the mansion before it was torn down, as well as a few other odds and ends. Very unique stuff, property deeds, letters to Steve, old Apple dealer pricing guide, blue prints, contracts for items to be sold inside the house, copies checks for said contracts, lots of 800K floppies one says "Book Keeping". I still have the machine, it works, and unless the right person comes around it will stay with me. There isn't anything fancy or unique to the machine from what I can tell besides the engraving. The serial number is 1501.

I'm sure Steve had many computers at that house at one time, but for some reason he left this Apple IIe. Who knows when it was left/abandoned or maybe Steve didn't even know if was still there. Either way the computer came from a dumpster outside his house, with all sorts of documents that were to him or about him.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
My comment of "in the news" was related to ..

I rarely browse those gawker and similar wanna-bee sites, but it seems like this Apple //e was brought up somewhere, either directly, or indirectly in that the article was about the Jackling House, but I do recall the gist of gallery and writeup on the Urban Exploration of the Jackling house and the things found within. The Godfather in the VCR, the organ full of leaves.. and that Apple //e with the engraved bits on the power supply. The other photos are fairly easy to find, yet this one seems to have vanished, only to re-appear here.

Far fetched? But that's the thought that ran through my mind at first. The question still begs though, found in a dumpster outside, but others exploring the place have posted lots of photos of the interior and I want to say that while I usually do have a photographic memory, I can't quite recall the surroundings of where I saw that image previously, but I did see the organ, the Godfather tape, and I want to say an iMac, in the same gallery.

..and for a little psychoanalyzing on my part, something I get accused of doing too much in depth, often enough .. "My first thought was, "great, legitimizing looting by highlighting it.. ".

When I first started viewing the photos and the captions, I fully expected some kind of Apple II might be "discovered" in the house, since there was obviously other effects left in the premises, 'abandoned', if you will.

When I got to that one, sure enough, look, a //e, that even says 'S Jobs' on it. In such a randomly placed way, just scrawled on the power supply. Almos as if the scenario was "gee, I have this engraver, I'm bored,lets try it out on here.." or fast forward several years to when the house was in dis-repair and became an attractive nuisance, then someone might even possibly go down to the level of staging it by carrying it in with them, taking a photo of it and claiming they "found" it.. further legitimizing it by first "signing" it with an engraver.

With such a low serial number, that certainly does lend credibility towards it being actually owned by Steve Jobs, however myself, I have one //e in the 300's, and another somewhere under 1,000, and a couple in the 2,500-3,500 range. I could take an engraver and in the words of Picard, "Make it so", too. ;)

As for dumpster diving outside of a place with history like that? Heck yeah, you betcha! At least this first hand version of the story makes it all the more plausible.

Interestingly, searching for the Jackling House images brings many instances up, many references, of which contain the photos I mentioned earlier, but nothing about that Apple //e, with "S Jobs" in cursive, engraved at an angle about the lower third of the power supply, below the sticker.

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I could certainly see how the story seems outlandish but I assure you its not. I have my own set of photos entirely different from the ones that were posted many years ago here of the Jackling Mansion on a gorgeous night. The difference between my photos and the others are extremely apparent. In the original photos posted on MR the lights at the mansion were on. My photos taken probably 2 years later have no lights on. I do have a different angle/photos of the Godfather VHS tape, pool table, organs, and bedrooms that have never been displayed publicly.

I only picked up the computer from the dumpster because it was the oldest computer I had ever seen (born the same time this machine was new). Not until many years after having it did I actually open it up and see the S. Jobs. I also have a good amount of very unusual documents from the same location. I know I have Steve computer which is the closest I will ever get to him at this point. If I wanted to stage this story, I would have found a much rarer machine than an Apple IIe. I think they are one of the most common older Mac around. It's more just a very interesting talking piece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.