transparent squid proxy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lollypop, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I have squid 2.5 on my home gateway server, currently all the machines in the home are manually pointed to the proxy, I checked the online documentation for squid on how to make it transparent but it does not have any instruction for the mac os, a goolge search has lead me to broken links... anyone have a idea on how to make squid transparent on mac os x server 10.4.7?

2. Suzuki macrumors member

I assume your gateway server is running linux?

To set up a transparent proxy on your gateway server, simply redirect outbound traffic destined for port 80 to port 3128 on your server, and squid will do the rest. Have a look at the iptables man pages if you're stuck.

3. Lollypop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

No, the server is mac os x server, 10.4.7. iptanbles arent availalbe on bsd based machines (as far as I know).

4. Suzuki macrumors member

Well, the theory still applies, although I'm new to OSX (still awaiting the arrival of my MacBook Pro - my very first mac!) so am unqualified to help you with the implementation.

Basically, for it to be a true transparent proxy, there should be no proxy configuration on the client machines on the network. They should be connecting to the internet as if they are directly connected, without a proxy server.
    For this to work, your server needs to redirect outbound traffic destined for port 80 and 443 to your proxy server running on the gateway.
    In Linux I would do this with iptables, on OS X I have no idea what you'd use.

So, in whichever way you should in OS X, you need to redirect web traffic to the proxy server.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful.

5. Lollypop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Thanks for the help, I have done a transparent squid before, but it seems mac os x is a bit different that linux. :D

6. MacSimoPark macrumors member

MacSimoPark