Transportation Futuristics

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jul 28, 2004.

1. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    The future never happened.... :eek: :p :p :p

2. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Oh, it happened alright. You're using it now. The internet allows us to "travel" without ever needing to go anywhere physically. I can "get to work" with a simple login. Even faster than a rocket car!
  3. macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Fascinating... though very much a whistle-stop tour, rather than a study.

I thought a few of those 'original' images looked very photoshopped; particularly the 'nuclear eel', and the 'triple hull radio powered boat'. Artistic license over historical integrity, I'm thinking...

I'm confused as to why they only made a passing mention of contemporary television; a gallery of, for example, some of the more appropriate Gerry Anderson stuff would have sat very well. They also missed out completely on the late 60s-early 70s hype about space flight, fueled by the moon landings. There were some awesome prototype/marketing drawings of those things.
  4. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Hill Valley, California
    The transplanetary subway idea (in the Oddities section) is especially wacky and wonderful. But I can't begin to imagine the safety issues. And since they found that it wouldn't be economically viable unless the entire populations of Los Angeles and New York commuted cross country every day, we're not going to find out!