Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkala

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
cleveland
is it ok to transport a PB (or even an ibook) while it is sleeping or is this a big no-no?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Is there another way?

I don't think I have ever transported my Powerbook when it was NOT sleeping. Powerbook/iBook sleep mode is as good as off as far as motion is concerned. The only thing with power is the ram, which is solid state so motion won't affect it.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
yippy said:
Is there another way?

I don't think I have ever transported my Powerbook when it was NOT sleeping. Powerbook/iBook sleep mode is as good as off as far as motion is concerned. The only thing with power is the ram, which is solid state so motion won't affect it.

Same here, I put my iBook to sleep every morning when I take it with me to work. One thing I do, though, is turn off Airport. It seems to drain the battery faster even when it's sleeping, which doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Trains, planes and automobiles, all the time. Why not? The disk is spun down and locked.

Totalshock

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Tarana (to locals...)
Perfectly safe to travel with your sleeping 'Book.

Just make sure that, if you're traveling by plane, it knows where its four nearest exits are... and remind it that they be behind it! Also, remember that if there's a sudden change in cabin pressure, put YOUR OWN OXYGEN MASK ON before helping your 'Book with its mask.

Also, keep an eye on it. Those sneaky buggers wake up from time to time, and have been known to lower their table and recline their chair, even when the captain wants you to have your tray table up, and your seat in the fully upright and locked position.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'll give the one dissenting opinion...

I used to put my powerbook to sleep and then bike to work with it in the backpack, but I started getting worried because I have seen the powerbook wake up on some seemingly random occasions (and sometimes the power drain after a night of "sleeping" is way more than it should be). The last thing I want is for my hard-drive to spin up while it's bouncing around on my bike.

So, if you're throwing it over a shoulder and walking or driving somewhere, go ahead and move it while asleep.

It you're going to be doing something more "dangerous" with it, I'd think about it a bit more.

(My PB drive failed a month ago, and I haven't been able to convince myself it wasn't because of this situation. Probably not, but there's this nagging feeling that if the thing woke up while I was biking, maybe just maybe...)

robshakir

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2005
Disable it waking on the lid opening, and you're pretty certain that it won't wake up in your bag. Like others, I never shut down my Powerbook.

Rob

jackl79

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2005
robshakir said:
Disable it waking on the lid opening, and you're pretty certain that it won't wake up in your bag. Like others, I never shut down my Powerbook.

Rob

how do you do that?

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
I transport my PowerBook whilst awake. I have had no problems with the computer, or Hard Disc problems due to the transport. As I type this message, I am sitting on my Lounge chair at 9:25 at night, watching Er On Channel 9 (Australia), having moved the Laptop about 30 meters from my Study to my Lounge-room. In my opinion, there is no adverse effects to the Laptop when moving it whilst awake. Just make sure you don't drop it...

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Heya,

I used to bound up and down stairs with the lid open and the Powerbook on. Bit random, but if I was looking at a website in my room and wanted to show my dad or something, I'd run downstairs and show him, and run back up.

Never had a problem! Same goes for sleeping, I only shut down for software updates, and I usually let a few of those gather up before I'd even restart. I used to bring it from home to school, and then between all my classes, then home again, while asleep. Thinking about it, it's travelled from NYC --> Northern Ireland asleep too, albeit safely beside me / in front of me.

So yeh, no worries really! That said, I wouldn't advocate moving it while awake, just in case. Just saying I've never had a problem.

andy.

Edit: It's now sold. That post (and my sig, err!) makes it seem like it's still here. It is in spirit :(

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
must be a new switcher. windows laptops always mess up when you put them in 'sleep' apples are designed to be put to sleep rather than shut down, so it is perfectly safe. the new PBs even have built in accelerometers to detect drops or movement when the HD is up and spinning and imidiatly shut it down if it detects a bump. thus preventing a head crash. what this means is with the new PBs you can even run around or toss (i would NOT reccomend this) your PB while it is awake and you would be safe (except for the catching part, might cause some trouble if you miss) but anyway, when it is asleep (even the old ones) iBooks and PBs are very safe!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Hemingray said:
Same here, I put my iBook to sleep every morning when I take it with me to work. One thing I do, though, is turn off Airport. It seems to drain the battery faster even when it's sleeping, which doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

Wow. That's interesting. Doesn't seem to happen to me, though. My wife's PowerBook has the sleep-battery-drain problem, but my iBook doesn't. I've taken the iBook on weekend-long trips and not even bothered bringing its power supply.

I always thought the problem with the wife's computer was her bluetooth mouse -- like somehow the computer keeps "looking for the mouse" when it's asleep.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
wordmunger said:
I always thought the problem with the wife's computer was her bluetooth mouse -- like somehow the computer keeps "looking for the mouse" when it's asleep.
In bluetooth preferences, do you have "Allow Bluetooth devices
to wake this computer" enabled or disabled? Disable it for a longer sleep life.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Bear said:
In bluetooth preferences, do you have "Allow Bluetooth devices
to wake this computer" enabled or disabled? Disable it for a longer sleep life.

Hmm, I wonder if that could have been my problem.

Thanks for the hint about turning off the wake on open, I wasn't aware of that option.

I hate shutting my PB down...

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
robshakir said:
Open up Terminal or iTerm, or whatever you use, and type:

sudo pmset -b lidwake 0

Rob

I typed that in but it hasn't worked. Most likely I've typed it in wrong.
Does this work for moving the lid at all, like if i close the lid, will it go to sleep or do i need to press the power button?

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
EGT said:
I typed that in but it hasn't worked. Most likely I've typed it in wrong.
Does this work for moving the lid at all, like if i close the lid, will it go to sleep or do i need to press the power button?

Probably a typo, because it worked for me.

The powerbook still sleeps when you close it, but it doesn't wake automatically when you open. Instead you have to press the power button.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I transport it from room to room while it's on. As long as the HD remains on a constant horizontal plane.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
stcanard said:
Probably a typo, because it worked for me.

The powerbook still sleeps when you close it, but it doesn't wake automatically when you open. Instead you have to press the power button.

Got it working .... thanks!

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Lacero said:
I transport it from room to room while it's on. As long as the HD remains on a constant horizontal plane.

Heh, I don't even consider room-to-room transporting!

I'm trying to figure out now that the weather's getting better if I can switch to some of the smoother mountain bike trails on my commute, or if I should stick to the road ... unfortunately I think the road is going to win out.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
robshakir said:
Open up Terminal or iTerm, or whatever you use, and type:

sudo pmset -b lidwake 0

Rob

-b is battery, -a is both battery and power cable?

Is it safe enough editing settings like this? .... I'm very paranoid when it comes to messing about with the system.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
EGT said:
-b is battery, -a is both battery and power cable?

Is it safe enough editing settings like this? .... I'm very paranoid when it comes to messing about with the system.

It's quite safe, do a "man pmset" and you'll see the options are fairly simple.

If you're worried about wakeup during transport (like I am) use "-a" instead of "-b" -- I've discovered through experiment that this seems to refer to the state when the powerbook is closed; using "-b", if the powerbook is plugged in when you close it, it will wake up when opening even if it's on battery.

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
I've had problems with my PowerBook waking from sleep when transporting it. Does the "sudo pmset -b lidwake 0" command suppose to only wake it by pressing the power button? Because when I tried it keyboard input also would wake it.

So is there a way to only wake by pressing the power button (and turn off any keyboard input along with the lid opening)?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.