Transporting PowerBook question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by doowrehs, Aug 14, 2005.

1. doowrehs macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2004
    Hi there,

Just a quick question about how to correctly transport a PowerBook. Basically, I wondered if it is safe or even recommended to keep a CD/DVD in the drive while toting the PB around in my backpack?

The reason I ask is that I previously had a Toshiba laptop which I also carried around in my pack (in a vertical position), and the CD drive eventually stopped being able to read or even recognise discs. I was told this was most likely because the drive had gone out of alignment, meaning that the laser head was no longer angled correctly to read a disc - and that this probably occured as a result of the drive mechanism being jolted around while in my backpack (while running for the bus, etc.).

So, would keeping a CD in the drive while transporting my PB prevent a recurrence of this incident (ie. by lessening the potential movement of the internal mechanism), or might this actually cause more damage?

Any insight or advice much appreciated!

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    It shouldn't be that bad, but it may waste battery when spinning up when you wake it up
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    To the best of my knowledge, laser heads and CDs shouldn't really ever touch so keeping a CD inside will give no benefit. If anything, it may get stuck which will end up meaning it has done more harm than good. I don't recommend keeping CDs inside moving laptops. :)