Transporting TiBook in SLEEP Mode

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sphereboy, May 31, 2002.

1. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

Is it ok to transport the TiBook in a sleeve and in a bag while it's on sleep?

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

How long will you be transporting it?? I would just power it off, transport it, then power it back up when you get where you are going. I am pretty sure that having it powered off will give it greated protection from bumps and such (since the hard drive will be off, not just in standby mode).

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

That said, I never shut down my PB. I haul it around everywhere in sleep mode, and I'm pretty sure that putting the HD to sleep is going to park the heads just the same as if you power it down completely. If it's heat you're worried about, don't. It doesn't generate any appreciable heat when sleeping.

Now, personally, if I've been running the PB hot, so that the fan is on, I'll let it sit idle for a while to cool down before sleeping it. I do get kind of concerned that there will be a problem if I close the hot PB (which shuts off the fan automatically) and then put it straight into a nice insulating case to keep the heat in. I'd be concerned about this if I was shutting down too, for that matter.

Of course I won't assume responsibility if your PowerBook crawls out of the case and kills you or something because you put it to sleep instead of shutting it down. If you're the least bit worried (and, really, why else would you have asked), AlphaTech's advice is probably the better way to go.

4. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I carry mine in my backback to and from school/work everyday with it sleeping. It seems fine so far...

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been puttin it to sleep and transporting it back and forth to work, no problems at all. If you're careful and not banging it around, not that you would do that if it was powered down, you should be ok.

6. agent302 macrumors newbie

Just to chime in, I carry mine asleep a lot as well. If you're worried about battery drain, heat, etc, a powerbook in sleep mode only uses 1 watt, so nothing to worry about. And the hard drive in sleep mode turns off, I'm fairly certain, and won't start spinning till you wake the machine.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have never noticed the harddrive spinning in sleep mode, everything shuts down except the little white light.

A coworker had his in sleep mode and went through the x-ray machine at the airport and when he got to work, his harddrive had crashed. The jury is still out whether it actually was the x-rays or him giving it one bump too many (I personally believe he gave it an accidental smack, x-rays sound to fishy)

8. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Agreed that the x-rays sounds unlikely. I have transported mine in sleep mode through airport security at least 15 times. I have never had the x-rays cause any problems. I did once accidentally give it a bump when I was traveling that caused it to turn off completely. When I found that it was off, I just powered it back on. It was fine.

Just my story. Your mileage may vary.

Chris

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think he was just in shock on loosing all his data and files - which he had never backed up - so he was looking for any excuse to find someone to blame. Its his own fault he lost all his work, but he learned and now he backs up on a regular basis.