Transporting while asleep- ok?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flyfish29, Mar 30, 2006.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So is it ok to just shut the lid on my iBook and put it in my case and travel with it asleep that way? I was wondering because every so often when I move the iBook on my desk I occasionally see the white apple light up and it make a noise like it is waking up but the lid has been closed the entire time.

So is it better to always shut down when transporting the iBook where it could get bounced around a little in the car or on the shoulder while in the bag?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It should be fine. I ride to uni each day with the lil girl asleep on my back and it can get pretty rough. She's fine though.

Is it possible that Bluetooth devices are waking it from sleep? The only time I've seen my iBook act similarly is when I unplug a mouse. :)

3. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I dont have bluetooth, but it might have something to do with my wireless mouse- I will watch and see if it is happening every the mouse module is still plugged in.

thanks!

4. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

Yes. That's how it's meant to be.

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

yeah thats fine, im not sure why you wouldn't just shut down and start up again though? it doesn't take long to do so.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

1. Because that's not nearly as cool.
    2. There is no 2.

7. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

..cause we have a sleep feature that lets you do all this without shutting it down. Waking your Book up from sleep does not even take 3seconds!

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The newest iBook's have the motion detecting sensor. So if there was a situation where the iBook might be in harm, this sensor makes sure it doesn't happen. And that would be when the computer is open.

You are fine moving around with the iBook still on. I'm doing it right now actually.

9. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I got my iBook last summer- August 2005- does it have the sensor you speak of?

10. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

I have an iBook slightly older than yours (Jan. 05) and it's travelled across town in the car boot, through airports, and along all types of terrain and distances, all in sleep mode. "Spinnerz" always wakes up smiling and ready to work :D

11. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

LOL
    Anyways, yea mine randomly wakes up from it's sleep even if the lid is closed, too. I don't have any BT devices, might it have something to do with my ethernet? The only other things that are plugged in are the power supply, mouse, and sound cables. Eh, I don't really care though, it justs makes me feel as if my iBook is alive- it's like it quickly jolts awake from a deep-sleep, then realizes everythings fine, and goes back to sleeping. LOL, personification...

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the Energy Saver settings, under the Options pane, there's a check box that'll toggle whether ethernet connections can wake the machine or not. So n-abounds, this may be what's waking your baby. :)

13. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

because there's absolutely no need for that. That is the whole reason the sleep feature was invented.