Transporting WU's from a Mac to a PC

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Dreadnought, May 14, 2004.

1. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Hi all,

My problem is the following: I have a nice P4 2.0 @work sitting idle most of the time, have an internet connection on it, but can't seem to get through the firewall at work. The IT department also don't know why I can't get through with folding... So I tried today to email a WU (the work folder) to my PC (I have Macs at home). So, I replaced the Work folder, but it still says it doesn't have any workunits to do and that it can't connect to the server...

Is there a way to use the WU's on the PC that my Mac gets from the server? It is possible to do this with two macs, or two pc's, this I know!

Greetz, Dreadnought

2. Mustang Mac macrumors regular

No can do. It will not work. As you said, you can go Mac to mac or PC to PC, but NO WAY for Mac to PC. File types are different and will not work. Sorry. Keep on folding on!

3. familyte macrumors member

Not an easy task... you can poorly emulate a PC on a Mac... But there is no visa versa...

Now the only thing I can think of would to be running some variation of Linux in both platforms... Now that may be impossible to set up in your work environment, and I have no idea if it would work... But, it sure sounds like an interesting concept...

Back to emulating a PC, you may wish to get your WUs off of your home Mac (for the PC) while folding while using the PC client under windoz emulation and them email or transport the WUs to work. The idea here is to not actually fold while under emulation, but for receiving and submitting only. It requires a lot of manual labor, but a labor of love it would be...

++++++
    Edit-

I personally have not tried this, seem to remember reading about this somewhere... Please if anyone sees a error in this post. Please speak up, I'm wearing flame retardant clothing. :D

Keep on folding, Ken

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yeah, here it comes. It's vice versa, not visa versa. :D

Dreadnought:

I wonder about moving the files back and forth but since I haven't run a PC version, I couldn't be sure. I move queue.dat, unitinfo.txt, and the work folder from machine to machine, which works fine from Mac to Mac.

5. Dreadnought thread starter macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

It could be that, that is what I haven't transported; Queue.dat. I will try that on monday, maybe with that it works. It isn't necessarry when you go from Mac to Mac, only the Work folder is sufficient. I thought the contents of the Work folder is the same for every platform. The shell around it is the only thing that is different, at least that is what I thought. Else I will install VPC on my G3 and have to get and send a WU daily...

Hope the IT folks @ work will find out what blocks FAH sending its request for data. I use the proxy server address and port the IT department suggests, but FAH doesn't get through the firewall to send its request for data. The IT department suggested it was because the standard port of FAH (8080) is the same our company uses. Tried every combination, but nothing gets through... Did anyone have any experience with this and FAH?

Thanks already for all of your replies and suggestions!

6. Mustang Mac macrumors regular

7. Dreadnought thread starter macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Well, his answer was short, but brief... NO! So have to simulate with VPC... IF eight hours working behind a pc isn't enough for a day, have to do it to in my spare time... :mad:

8. familyte macrumors member

Is it time to pull out the Visa or Master card, and say charge? :D

If VPC won't do it, then its time to get a cheap PC to do your home downloading and uploading for you. Still will require some TLC, if your up to it... :)

9. Dreadnought thread starter macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

NO WAY THAT THERE WILL BE A PC IN MY HOME! NOT EVEN A FRIENDS LAPTOP OR SOMETHING!! Maybe I can download with WU with Nintendo 8 bit (NES) and transport that to the pc@work. Maybe that works... Darn, it doesn't have an internet connection....