Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AroundTheFur922

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
NJ
Installed Windows 10 via bootcamp this morning on my early 2013 15" rmbp. Followed an instructional video on YouTube step-by-step and everything went fine until Windows itself started up. Brought me to the W10 homepage but unlike on the video I was watching, a pop up prompt from Bootcamp never appeared. I am now stuck in Windows 10 and cannot locate a Bootcamp icon anywhere and there is no option to turn on wifi in Windows 10 so I am also stuck without an Internet connection either seeing as I have no Ethernet port on my MacBook. Any help is greatly appreciated.

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Just restart the computer? Hold Alt/Option and then switch to OS X, have Bootcamp download the driver package for your Mac and then boot into Windows again. There, install the drivers. The reason you're not seeing the WiFi logo is because your WiFi card in your Mac doesn't work without a driver under Windows, and as long as Windows doesn't have that driver it won't recognize the WiFi card.

EDIT corrected a mistake pointed out by a fellow forum person.

Last edited:

AroundTheFur922

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
NJ
Just restart the computer? Hold CMD and then switch to OS X, have Bootcamp download the driver package for your Mac and then boot into Windows again. There, install the drivers. The reason you're not seeing the WiFi logo is because your WiFi card in your Mac doesn't work without a driver under Windows, and as long as Windows doesn't have that driver it won't recognize the WiFi card.
Not working. Every time I power down the computer it keeps coming back up to Windows (even while holding the Command key). Takes a looooooong time to power back up as well.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Just restart the computer? Hold CMD and then switch to OS X, have Bootcamp download the driver package for your Mac and then boot into Windows again. There, install the drivers. The reason you're not seeing the WiFi logo is because your WiFi card in your Mac doesn't work without a driver under Windows, and as long as Windows doesn't have that driver it won't recognize the WiFi card.

Actually it's Option/Alt at boot to change the start up partition.

OP, like the above poster said, go back into OS X (reboot the machine, hold down option before the chime, then use the arrow keys to select your OS X partition, typically named Macintosh HD), then download the Bootcamp drivers from Apple through Bootcamp Assistant (easiest way is to use Spotlight and search Bootcamp Assistant). It should prompt you for a FAT32 volume or a disk to burn to. If you don't have a FAT32 volume available (typically a thumb drive) because it's formatted for OS X, then you can use Disk Utility to reformat it (note this will wipe all data on the thumb drive).

After that, reboot into Windows, plug in the drive and it should auto-run.

AroundTheFur922

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
NJ
Actually it's Option/Alt at boot to change the start up partition.

OP, like the above poster said, go back into OS X (reboot the machine, hold down option before the chime, then use the arrow keys to select your OS X partition, typically named Macintosh HD), then download the Bootcamp drivers from Apple through Bootcamp Assistant (easiest way is to use Spotlight and search Bootcamp Assistant). It should prompt you for a FAT32 volume or a disk to burn to. If you don't have a FAT32 volume available (typically a thumb drive) because it's formatted for OS X, then you can use Disk Utility to reformat it (note this will wipe all data on the thumb drive).

After that, reboot into Windows, plug in the drive and it should auto-run.

Thanks MacPerson, I think that will do the trick.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Not working. Every time I power down the computer it keeps coming back up to Windows (even while holding the Command key). Takes a looooooong time to power back up as well.
That would be because you're not pressing the right key. You want to be pressing the Alt AKA Option key, not the command key.

The rest of your problem is due to the fact that you have not made a USB key containing all the necessary drivers for Windows to work properly. If you'd read through the instructions while in the bootcamp assistant, that would not have happened.

AroundTheFur922

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
NJ
That would be because you're not pressing the right key. You want to be pressing the Alt AKA Option key, not the command key.

The rest of your problem is due to the fact that you have not made a USB key containing all the necessary drivers for Windows to work properly. If you'd read through the instructions while in the bootcamp assistant, that would not have happened.

As I said, I was following an online video. I had already thanked a replier for the correct response which you've now unneccesarily repeated. Thank you for the condescending, late response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.