Trash can question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Double G, May 22, 2006.

1. Double G macrumors newbie

May 22, 2006
    Hello all, i have a question in regards to the trash can in OS X. I am a somewhat new MAC owner. I bought one back in December and my sister decided she was going to get one as well. This brings me to my question. My sister started moving things around on the hard drive trying to organize things like on her pc and she has had a few problems. All of them are worked out except for when she drags something to the trash it deletes it without putting it in the trash. Any ideas?? She is running Tiger with all of the current updates. Thanks
  2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

not sure what you mean.....

If she dragged something to the trash...she has put it in the trash....

and if she put something in the trash, she has essentially disabled it, she hasn't totally deleted it until she "emptys the trash"...same as windows...
  3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    He seems to be saying that if she drags it to the Trash, it gets deleted immediately, bypassing Trash altogether. (Just like doing "rm" from Terminal...)

Can't say I've heard of this problem before (if that is in fact what is happening)...
  4. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    I think I heard somewhere that can happen if you've deleted your .Trash folder ... hold on, let me try ... yes, I get the "This file will be deleted immediately ..." message.

Now, I just have to work out how to get it back. I'll edit this later when I find the answer.

Edit: OK, I got back my trash. If you drag a file to it, .Trash will be recreated, but it won't let you move any files to .Trash until you logout and back in again.

I suggest you go into Terminal, remove .Trash once again (just to make sure the account is in a known state), drag a file to it, cancel when it asks do you want to delete the file immediately, log out, log back in again.
  5. Double G thread starter macrumors newbie

May 22, 2006
    Trash Can

Thanks for the info i'll give it a try.