Trash in Mail app

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eusebius, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Eusebius macrumors member

I'm new to macs and os x -- so far it's wonderful -- but a small mystery nags me. In the mail application, when I delete a mail it disappears, but where does it go? I can find no trash folder in Mail. The menu item "mail box" has the line "go to....trash" (command + 5) but when I click there all I see is an empty space. It's not in the trash bin in the dock. Spotlight turns it up, but doesn't reveal where it's hiding. When I click on Spotlight's search result, the deleted mail opens well enough with its subject title at the top... followed by the word "trash"! So why don't I see it in the Trash? One of these days I'm going to delete a mail accidentally and I won't know where to retrieve it.

My OS X is in German, so some of my English terms might be off, but I hope some one knows what I mean.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

That's really odd; Mail has a "trash" folder of its own (independent from the one in the Dock, although the icon is the same); not sure why you're not seeing yours. When you select "Go to... Trash" it should open it (it'll be highlighted in the blue bar on the left), and should show all the messages in the trash.

If you go to this page:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/mail.html

...the screenshots are of the Mail.app in Leopard, but it looks more or less the same--see the "trash" icon in the lefthand bar?

3. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

view > show deleted messages

You may have to restart mail after turning on this setting. Every time I setup mail, it takes me forever to figure it out again. I think that's what it is...hopefully it is.

4. Eusebius thread starter macrumors member