Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Okay, now I know how to delete a locked file... But, here's the story.

After backin up all apps on my iPod, I just copied all the files over to my HD in Tiger. So, having the files on the computer, I don't need 'em on my iPod. I moved most of the apps/files to the trash. Well, I moved them all at once, so the trash now has 71 items, which contain thousands and thousands of files, some of which are locked. Now I have a trash that can't be dumped unless I unlock the files. However, I would have to copy all the files back on to my computer, files that are already there. Plus, this would take a few hours to copy back.

So, I know there must be some way around this. Any serious tech guys know the solution?

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Plymouthbreezer said:
Okay, now I know how to delete a locked file... But, here's the story.

After backin up all apps on my iPod, I just copied all the files over to my HD in Tiger. So, having the files on the computer, I don't need 'em on my iPod. I moved most of the apps/files to the trash. Well, I moved them all at once, so the trash now has 71 items, which contain thousands and thousands of files, some of which are locked. Now I have a trash that can't be dumped unless I unlock the files. However, I would have to copy all the files back on to my computer, files that are already there. Plus, this would take a few hours to copy back.

So, I know there must be some way around this. Any serious tech guys know the solution?

Try secure empty trash? Works for me when stuff is misbehaving in there.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The good old Command+Option+Shift+Delete keystroke I used in Mac OS 9 to deal with this issue works great for me in Mac OS X...

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
wrldwzrd89 said:
The good old Command+Option+Shift+Delete keystroke I used in Mac OS 9 to deal with this issue works great for me in Mac OS X...
Humm, sounds promising... Howvever, I can't seem to get it to work. :confused:

Edit: Nevermind... It seems to be working. But, we'll see.

Is there anyway to delete each file in the trash by its self?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.