Trash Locked Files

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by BicyclePunk, Jan 31, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Ok, for some reason, I have over 60 locked files in my trash can on 10.2.3. I think there is a way to quickly empty the can without having to unlock each one. There is, right? Thanks for the info.

2. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Trash Locked Files

In OS 9 you used to be able to hold down either option or command while emptying trash to override. try it. not sure if it works in OS X.

arn

3. macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Re: Re: Trash Locked Files

I'm pretty sure that this feature has been removed in OS X. I know that you can delete a file no matter what using Terminal (with sudo rm), but I think you'd still have to delete each file separately. You know what I'd really like? A Terminal command that can instantly delete all the files in a certain folder, but not the actual folder that contains these files. Like in this example, I'd like to be able to tell Terminal to remove all files IN the trash, but to not remove the trash folder itself. Does anyone know of a command for this? If I were to type "sudo rm -r ~/.Trash", it would delete my entire Trash directory in my home folder. I'd like to delete just those files in the trash, not the the trash itself.

Sorry if I got a bit repetitive there, but I hope you got the idea. I don't really have a solution to your problem--all I can do is ask a related question.

--Fred

4. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Re: Re: Trash Locked Files

try:

"sudo rm -r ~/.Trash/*"

arn

5. macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Trash Locked Files

Oh...My...God...it worked...lol you're a genius Arn, thanks a bunch, I'll try to remember that.