Trash & missing HD space...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Achtung_U2, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Achtung_U2 macrumors member

Feb 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL, U.S.A!
    Hey everyone:

Good morning.... this is a continuation of the ongoing problem that i posted last evening in the Hardware forum. As I suspected, this is definitely software (operating system related), so, more appropriate for me to be in this forum. At any rate, I still have no idea what happened or what to do.

Here are the facts so far:

Yesterday, I started doing backup copies of numerous DVD movies... of course, each folder is almost 5G. Anyhow, my HD is 120G, I had about 80G available when I started. @nd drive is 40G and had 17G available.

As I trashed, and emptied the trash... i realized that my available HD space stayed at about 43G. Even if I added another 5G folder on the drive, the amount doesnt change. Moreover... the 2nd drive was also a victim here. I dragged a 2G file over to it to copy. The HD dropped from 17 to 15G avail.
    Then, once trash was emptied, it also stayed low, at 15G! Yes... both drives (so, not hardware issue)

Late last nite, I used Norton UnErase.... it reveals that there are NO huge files hidden away out there. I also used Super Getinfo to reveal all hidden files on my drive, again no big ones.

I went ahead and did an Archive and install of new System software with my Panther Install discs, followed by software update to get back to 10.3.2 Functionally, everything is fine, but change on the available HD space of the main drive BUT... the 2nd HD now showed 17G avail again! now this morning, i discover that if you look in my trash can, there are 6 items, again, if I was to delete them the available space stays exactly the same. Even when they are 100's of MB.

Heres the big thing I just dscovered now... if I choose a secure Empty Trash... it scans for a while and then reveals 75 items to be deleted. When I click on it to go ahead.... it just sits there forever and does nothing.

I know there are alot of knowledgeable guys out there, so please... help me out directly here or an email to me. i really need some advice on this.

Thanks much! Mark ~
  2. Achtung_U2 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL, U.S.A!
    FileVault was the culprit!

Although nobody had any input or checked in to help on this...

I just wanted to let you all know that after spending over 6 more hours on all this today...

I discovered that OS X Panther's > FileVault was the culprit. After 20 minutes of FileVault restoring lost disk space.... my drive is back all the way up to 90G free.

I think Im disabling FileVault today for good...or, at least until a future release of Mac OS :)