Trash OS9

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Eckslusive, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

Dec 12, 2002
    Currently using OS X 10.2.2, would I be able to trash OS 9? or are there files there that are needed to run the OS X programs?
  2. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    OS 9 is a wholly separate entity. However, if you want to use the classic environment (and even if you aren't now, you might have cause sometime or another) you need it. So unless you are serously running low on hard drive space, I don't really see the harm in just leaving it there.
  3. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2002
    I would love to trash os 9, I did once, but it caused me all sorts of problems. Does os x need os 9 for carbon apps?
  4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Let me hang that quote up on a wall or something.
    You want to delete something that ALREADY gave you problems. AND on top of that YOU MIGHT GET some CARBON APPS TO STOP WORKING.
  5. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    Why on earth would you want to remove OS9 for, anyway? Here's some reasons to keep it:

• It's great for games (much faster in some cases than OSX)

• Hard Disk space is ridiculously inexpensive, so there's no point in taking it off

• If you've got a partitioned drive (like me) then you can put OS9 on one partition, and OSX on the other (I have a 20Gb drive, with 5Gb for OS9, and 15Gb for OSX). This is great for when your drive goes down - at least you have 2 lots of boot sectors, so you'll definitely be able to start your computer to repair the damage

• Not everyone is a genius when it comes to understanding Unix - and when the thought of using Terminal breaks you into a cold sweat, and you don't know how to use the "sudo - " command when you are desperately trying to remove stubborn files from the Trash, don't panic. Boot into OS9, and empty the trash as usual. Problem solved.

• Classic is an integral part of OSX - removing OS9 will stop this application from running. It's still important because some installer programs still require the computer to boot into OS9 to complete the installation process.

• There are STILL some applications that are not yet carbonised.

I'm sure there are other good reasons, and there'll be plenty of suggestions from you all as this thread progresses.

6. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    OS9 sucks...

Just take the folder and trash it...OSX doesnt need any of it unless you run Classic apps.

I trashed mine long ago.
  7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Having used both seperate and in tandem quite extensively, here is my take:
    I keep 9 around ONLY for one thing. I did a side-by-side on Ghost Recon and Jedi II running in both OS's. Hands down 9 is the winner. It wasn't even close. And Falcon 4 (OOOLLLDDD game) was horrific in X. Don't play games?
    Toss 9 in the trash and don't look back.