'Trash' question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by no-direction, Feb 9, 2007.

1. no-direction macrumors member

Hey everyone. I'm a recent switcher in that I just got my iMac this week and I absolutlely love it - it's so simple to use!

One question I do have however is that whenever I shut down completely, the next time I boot there's always a folder in the trash called 'Recovered Files' which seems to not have anything useful inside it. When this happens I simply empty trash and get on and osx and all apps are fine.

Would just like to know if there's something I'm doing wrong when shutting down or could it be that I'm possibly just leaving programs open and then shutting down without closing maybe?

Not too concerned about it, just curious as to why it's happening.

Thanks!

2. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

Hmm. I'm not a recent switcher, but I've observed the same behaviour you describe above since I upodated my OS to Tiger. I've never really given it much thought for the same reasons you pointed out, but since you've taken the step to explore it further, I just wanted to register my interest in the matter.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It started happening with the first release of Tiger (10.4.0). It seems to happen to most people without any evidence that anything had gone wrong... It's been discussed before but there hasn't been any compelling explanation of why it was added to the operating system. But it is normal for this to happen. I would just ignore it.

4. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

See Apple's article here

I suspect that it also may have something to do with the fact that Mac OS X uses a journaled file system, meaning that writes to the HD do not happen immediately, but are stored temporarily in memory. Although, I could be wrong.

5. no-direction thread starter macrumors member

OK then, thanks for the heads up! Nice to know that it's not something specific that I'm doing wrong as a new switcher! As I said before, just curious.

Loving my Mac so far...it just works! :D