Trash size in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stuttter, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Stuttter macrumors newbie

I really miss knowing the combined size of the trash you are dumping. Last seen in OS9 it was a good indicator of whether something was in there that shouldn't be. I recently dumped all my current work (I do have it all backed up but still a pain) by accident, 6 gigs in total.:confused:

Can anyone tell me has it been re-instated in Leopard? (wouldn't imagine it was too much trouble to include?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, I know it isn't perfect, but you can always open the trash, hit Apple-A to select all, and then Apple-I to get info, can't you. :) I think Apple-shift-I is it or Apple-Option-I will force it to give you a single summary even when there are few files (as OS X defaults to giving you separate info windows if there are... I want to say... less than six files?)

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

Not to be a jerk, but here's a tip: DON'T PUT ANYTHING IN THE TRASH THAT YOU WANT TO SAVE.

Most of us don't put important documents into the trash bins under our desks, why do so many seem to do it on their computers?

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Some people do it on accident. Yeah I know some people use the trash as "temporary storage" which is dumb in my opinion but some people do delete files by mistake... hence Time Machine.

5. Stuttter thread starter macrumors newbie

genius

6. bsauls macrumors newbie

Faster and easier Trash size in Leopard

Open trash. Make sure no files are selected. Get info for instant trash size!

7. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Code:
    tell application "Finder"
    	display dialog ("The trash contains " & (the size of the trash) as text) & " bytes"
    end tell