Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sach504, Jan 24, 2003.

1. sach504 macrumors member

Dec 29, 2002
    does deleting an item in the trash completely delete it and restore the memory that the item took up? if not how can i do that?
  2. kenkooler macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002
    Mexico City
    Re: Trash....

Do you mean putting it in the trash or after emptying the trash?
  3. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    put it in the trash:

the item has been moved from its original location. BUT an invisible hard UNIX link remains. you cannot ever see this (even in terminal). the trash is a logicalk location for items you want to delete.

empty trash:

the item is destroyed. the HDD space it took up is available again. the link is also destroyed

PS. if you delete the trash folder, you delete the item. when you next either star-up or run a disk operation (i.e. index, or fsck -y) the link will be destroyed. it is also destroyed if something trys to access the file when it does not exist.

hope it helps
  4. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    When you empty the Trash your data is still on the disk. It is simply set to be over-written. If you want it zapped so that it cannot be recovered you will need a tool to write random 1s and 0s overs it.

Go to Version Tracker ( and perform a search for "Erase." You will get about five results. I haven't used any of these, but you can check user feedback to find one that looks right for you.

There was a link to a story about a couple of students at Harvard who conducted an experiment to see how much data they could recover from a load of used machines, recently. I can't seem to find it now, but they reported finding over 5000 credit card numbers and other sensitive info.

Hope this helps!
  5. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    the programs that "zap" files "wipe" them (i believe that is the proper term) and even after you do a really good wipe (maybe 1000 times with the hex value 00, then another 1000 with the hex value AA and finally maybe 10,000 times with the hex value 11) you can still recover the data.