travel adaptor for 220V (asian countries)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dscan99, Apr 4, 2005.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Do I need to buy the travel adaptor from Apple (more expensive) to use with my iBook when I travel to Asia .. or will any generic travel adaptor (like from Radioshack?) work? Thanks!
  2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
  3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I believe Apple portable computers (PB and iBook) should be used for 110 to 220 V and 50 to 60 Hz. If you look at your OEM AC Adaptor for your notebook computer, it will show the voltage and Hz rating in small letters. You can get world plug kit from Apple or Targus.
  4. aplasticspork macrumors regular

May 27, 2004
    Seattle Wa.
    when i was in thailand i didnt need anything to plug my ipod into outlets, the ibook should be the same. most of the outlets in thailand also fit american plugs, im not sure if that's the case for the rest of asia, perhaps someone else can answer that, but at most all you'll need is an adaptor, not a step down transformer :)
  5. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Mar 29, 2002
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Here is a site that show what kind of plug and socket they are using in China. For the power as everyone above said it will auto switch to whatever the voltage. All you need to buy is the plug adapter.
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Well I'm going to say DON'T buy the World travel adaptor kit from Apple. What a waste. All you need is a universal travel adapter. With these, they work for ALL electronics, not just Apple products.

Yes, Apple's World Travel Adapter kits look cool because they're white, but it just isn't worth paying 2x more for it.

Don't worry about the voltages. THe only product where voltage is an issue is if you're moving to another country with a G5 iMac. ;)

I'd also buy a surge protector or something if you're going to dodgier places. The electricity in some places isn't super-stable.