travel advice: Cancun

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSaint, Jan 30, 2007.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

We (wife and I) are headed to the FiestAmericana hotel in the Cancun hotel resort area in a few weeks. I'm curious about how to handle money. We have a Visa we're going to use for whatever we can. And we have our debit card if needed. The wife and I are wondering whether we need to have any money converted to pesos? I can't think of a reason, except maybe for tipping busboys, etc. Even then I would think American dollars would be fine. I don't think anyone uses travelers checks anymore. :confused:

We're also going on our first sailing charter. I've never been on a sailboat, but I've always been fascinated by sailing! We're doing an eight-hour charter on a 38 foot boat. I may not come back... :p

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well if you're going to hang out at a resort most of the time, I'd think Mastercard or Visa would be fine.

If you leave the resort, carrying around $100 worth of pesos wouldn't hurt.

3. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Carry around $100 single dollar bills if possible. You' be amazed what 2-3 bucks tipping gets you in service, even at an "all inclusive" resort. This is the best advice I ever got when I went to Cancun.

4. redmeister macrumors 6502

yea use card for most major purposes such as dinner and paying for large items or gifts

but DEF have some cash on you at all times... not a ton, but a decent amount. good for few things here and there for sure

5. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Thanks for the advice. I'll prob go with $100 US and $100 pesos in hand.

6. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

quick side note: take the buses EVERYWHERE. people are insane drivers in cancun, so you'd be better off taking a bus/taxi or if you're up to the challenge, drive on their streets. be careful, though. driving in cancun is like driving in los angeles during rush hour, but 50 times faster.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Economically, yes. But our experience is that bus drivers are the most insane drivers of all. We've been on "carreteras" and have seen two buses, full of passengers, racing eachother at +120 kph. Taxis are a good bet.

8. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint