Travel Canada - advice?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iriejedi, May 28, 2005.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

I'm off to the great North West this July and I want to go to Canada. Leaving SF and enjoying the coast on up to Seattle.... then

I'm looking at a route from Seattle to Calgary via Kamlops and Banff.

Any advice on distance and travel time required (for the Seattle to Calgary route) assuming the goal is to stop and enjoy the country along the way.

Thanks in advance

Iriejedi

2. amholl macrumors 6502

Ive been to calgary and banff. both great places. if i were u, id stay in banff for at least a nite. great hiking, bking, etc. ig ur going to calgary this summer, make sure u r there for the stampede.

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yes, while in Banff go hiking in Johnson's Canyon. The landscape is amazing...
    Calgary is kind of an ugly, flat city. We used to go there every summer when I was a kid to visit my aunt and uncle, and I never really liked it there. The Calgary Stampede is definitely worth seeing, though.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if you have the time and really want to see the best spots in western Canada, then when you get to Seattle, either to Port Angeles or Anacortes and take the ferry to Vancouver Island (Victoria) and spend a day around here, head up the island through Nanaimo and over through Port Alberni and on to Tofino and Long Beach (Pacific Rim National Park). Then go back to Nanaimo where you can get a ferry over to Vancouver and see some of the stuff over that way, then head east through the rockies to Banff, Jasper and Calgary....oh yeah!

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Enjoy...the...country? In *Canada*? ;) :eek: :D

Just kidding. God, BC is beautiful. So, so beautiful. Quite possibly my favorite place on North America. So I ditto what the Duff-Man says. Oh, yeah.

6. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Sounds Good.

That all sounds good. Yes Banff is after a day or so in the Victoria area. The only reason I want to go to Calgary is to eat at Buzzards Restaurant and Bar. One of the only places that openly claim to still searve Buzzard Breath Ale! Probably one of my all time favorite beers that I have not been able to find in the states anymore. Pretty sad that the end of the trip from SF to Calgary is to pick up a case of beer!

:)

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....better buy 2 cases then....oh yeah!

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Easy to say when your belt doubles as a beer holster! :eek: This poor fellow has to *carry* them in his *hands*! :( ;) :D

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Then I guess he'll just have to finish it there. ;)

I'd buy more cases if I were you.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Banff and Lake Louise are great....its a great drive and make sure to take tons of pics. Get out on some of the glaciers north of Banff, its quite fun.

Calgary isn't that interesting, especially after you'll have travelled through all the scenery - if there is something specific you're doing there that's great - but if not, spend more time in the mountains. Have fun.

D

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Definitely book time for Banff and surroundings. Heck, my family spent a week there alone.

Banff
    Jasper
    Lake Louise
    Morain Lake (spelling?)
    Columbian Ice Fields

... those will keep you busy for a bit.

Then go to Vancouver and area, visit the island, Victoria, take the ferry, drop by the Capilano Suspension Bridge to test your fear of heights (man that thing is creepy)

Depending on how much you enjoy mall-hopping, West Edmonton Mall is either your dream come true or your world's biggest nightmare :) (and while you're in there, take a submarine ride and/or ride the roller coaster...)

13. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^Cheap shot. :p

You don't have Kraft dinner in the US? Surely you must. Its Philip Morris doing family-oriented products. :confused:

Oh, and get some bagels. :D Montreal-style bagels taste better than the NY-style they do in the US.

You must go to a Tim Hortons and have a taste of coffee, doughnuts, and a bagel. Its the best coffee you'll get at any mass-coffee production shop, including Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks or any café or coffee shop. I don't know how they do it quickly yet cheaply, but on average, some absurd number of Canadians go there in the morning to get coffee, and nowhere else. With no exaggeration, the number is absurd. In cities where the Tim Hortons store density is high, the percentage of Canadian workers who go to Timmys in the early morning (or any time during the day) for a coffee/tea/breakfast/muffin/doughnut is above 20%. :eek: I forget the exact figure, but its higher than that in some cities.

15. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Tons of photos

Thanks again everyone! 5 Weeks and counting! I can not wait. I'm taking over 5 gigs of compact flash cards and my iPod as a back up. Had only 3 gigs last year....that was bad

I think that the plan is to spend more time near Banff area after Victoria and make Calgary a place to pass through on our way back south towards home... saddly we only have 15 days... but there is always next year!

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I've been to Vancouver, B.C. and its really cool - My parents, sister, and I stayed at a hotel, I forget which, and took walks near it: everything, like seattle, is in walking distance.

You can also commute back and forth from Seattle to Canada - they are so close its great, and theres so much to do everywhere.

Plus, everything's cheaper in Canada.