Travel kit for Powerbooks

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Heart Break Kid, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

hey -

this summer i'll be travelling to Germany and then to india. I want to take my powerbook with me. I have only 1 battery - the one that came with my 17" baby. I remember apple used to have a travel kit with about a dozen or so power adapters. i cant seem to find it at their online store anymore.

can someone help me out? either send me the link to the page on apples site - or point me out to a similar product?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Travel kit for Powerbooks

I don't think you'll need power adapters, just plug adapters. The apple transformers go from 90-250 volts or something around that. When I lived in Saudi Arabia you could buy plug adapters everywhere, airports, hardware shops, or even just normal stores.

3. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

that was exactly what i was looking for

thank you very much!

4. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

5. Parsa macrumors member

Parsa

Auto adapters

You might also want to consider a 12V auto power adapter/supply. You can plug them into a car and use them on the road (not while your hands are on the wheel of course, but mine was running maps with a GPS receiver while I drove cross country). Many have an adapter for airline use as well.

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Re: Auto adapters

Momentary OT, sorry guys...

-Parsa

What Hardware and Software did you use for that?

7. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'll be in frankfurt while in germany for a few days
    but most of the rest of the time will be spent in india

8. Parsa macrumors member

Parsa

Re: Auto adapters

Laptop: PowerBook Duo 2300c bought on Ebay for about $180. Minidock attached. 12V power supply for laptop.

GPSr: Garmin 12XL. Garmin PC data cable with 12V power plug, and adapter for serial port bought from GPSy.

Software: GPSy raster graphics reader for tracking position on topo maps (www.gpsy.com).
    DeLorme StreetAtlas USA for city areas. (You could use SA for the whole trip, but the vector data in SA is often *way* off. GPSy on the topo maps is dead on! Some topo maps are old, but I was on 66 so it was perfect.)

Maps: USGS 1:100,000 topo maps mostly bought on disk from Ebay sellers. Some downloaded from state GIS agencies. A few 1:24000 maps for "off-road" sections of Route 66 (such as southwest of Santa Fe).

Misc: I have a couple 12V outlets in the front of my Xterra, but I added a Radio Shack 3-outlet unit as well. I need it as I often have: computer, GPSr, cell phone charger, battery charger for camera batteries, FRS radio (Radio Shack), etc.

Parsa