Travel tips regarding Airport Security

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phong, Jun 27, 2006.

1. phong macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am going to be back from Israel pretty soon and wondering about getting through Ben Gurion airport, regarding check-in, and security (especially as an American).

Arriving here wasn't so difficult but I hear that going out, I have heard about having to deal and longgg process of interrogation and having everybody asking you the same questions over and over again. I totally respect what they are trying to do, with security and all. I have brought along my 5G iPod, external battery for iPod, dSLR, PowerBook, those are basically my electronic devices. I have heard about them taking your devices and checking them out, and sometimes even confiscating it, or sending it later (which may or may not get to you).

I assume to answer all of their questions truthfully and honestly, follow all directions, etc.

But are your tips and advice to making it an easier process and what can I do to ensure all my things will be in my possession? Would love to hear those who have traveled to Israel or any countries where security is a huge thing.

It's been a pretty great experience here in Israel, as it is my first time. But I just hope coming home isn't too much of a hassle.

Thanks!

Phong

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

if you're not doing anything illegal, then security checks won't be an issue

3. iGary Guest

iGary

You have obviously never flown on El Al. ;)

I have a large Pelican Case that I put locks on, which means that I have to open it up for them to inspect (not ruffle through it while they are screening me). Consider that. :)

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

True, but have done a fair bit of overseas traveling since 9/11. Europe and elsewhere. No issues yet.

Obviously any baggage with conspicuous locks will attract attention.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Flying in and out of Israel is...interesting.

And I have no issues with my locked cases attracting attention. At least they have to wait for me before they go digging in my stuff. I have had a laptop and a lens destroyed by fumbling hands. They tend to be much more careful if you are right there watching.

i used to just say "I'd like to be present when my stuff is searched," but that doesn't stop them from disregarding what I said. I just put all my camera gear, laptop and other valuables in that case...I've been 100% succesful so far.

Good luck to the OP.

6. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

You guys have never been to Iran. That is an experience:rolleyes:

7. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

pink-pony115

I'm not sure iff this will help anything but keep your electrionics in orginal boxes. I dunno it just seems logical.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i know i've heard similar horror stories, but i have yet to experience the kind of treatment that i hear about. any i travel with multiple cameras, lenses, electronic equipment also.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

My problem is that I fly one-way alot when I am doing certain types of work, and that is usually an instant flag for extra security. :)

10. bumpy macrumors newbie

A friend of mine got strip searched when leaving Israel due to the fact that he'd been there a week and only had one small holdall.

My tip, take a suitcase.