Traveling to AU for Christmas-Best Prepaid carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crooks, Dec 6, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Hello all,

I will be traveling to AU over the christmas for 2 weeks and I'm looking to use my iPhone 5 (Will unlock it) in Austrailia. I'm looking for the best Pre-paid carrier. I won't be using call/txt, but mainly data. (Around 1GB or more).

What's my best carrier option? Right now I'm looking at the $50 Vodafone plan..Also, does anyone know what flexible credit means? That $1,000 number scares me a little. Sorry, Noob here, first time. Thanks for any help! Much appreciated.:)

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors member

Vodafone is a disaster and their data coverage is pitiful at best. Go with Telstra's 4G/LTE and you wont be sorry. Excellent coverage and lightning fast.

Cheers, Brett

4. macrumors regular

Exactly. Telstra's 4G LTE coverage is the most expansive and the speeds are amazing. I constantly see over 45Mbps. Vodafone has terrible coverage and data speeds here.

----------

Where are you coming from and what model iPhone 5 do you have?

5. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

What about virgin mobile? I will be in Australia sometimes nextyear and will only need data!

6. macrumors regular

It depends on where in Australia you'll be. Virgin will only be good when you're in 4G LTE areas. Their 3G network isn't very good as it uses Optus 3G, which doesn't support DC-HSPA+.

7. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I will most likely be in Sydney. I'm just looking for the most GB I can get for cheap! Btw I'm gonna stay for couple weeks.

8. macrumors regular

Where abouts in Sydney? The CBD?

9. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I have no idea, but pretty much whole sydney area?!

10. thread starter macrumors regular

I have the Verizon model. I will call them to confirm my device is unlocked or not.

Coming from Bay Area

11. ZacT94, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

macrumors regular

Good. The Verizon model will work on our LTE networks. I was asking as the AT&T model won't work on Australian LTE.

----------

Well if you're going to do Virgin Mobile then the only area in 4G LTE coverage is the CBD and the main city areas. The rest of Sydney isn't 4G LTE covered. If you want the most extensive 4G LTE coverage then go with Telstra. It covers the whole city area, a 10km radius around the city and a few other smaller CBD's in Sydney that are outside the 10km radius. Even better though is that most of the parts of Sydney that aren't in 4G LTE coverage are in DC-HSPA+ or HSPA+.