Traveling to Canada

Discussion in 'Community' started by applemacdude, Aug 26, 2004.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I am traveling to canada for a week. What can i take from here over there? I am mexican and my relatives over there have a hard time finding mexican candy, spices etc. I want to bring them lots of stuff but i dont know if they will let me bring it in. What can i take to canada?

2. James L macrumors 6502a

I would look here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

Cheers!

James

3. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Seeing from your avatar, you might want to start looking for apartments there, as November might motivate a sudden move.

5. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I've brought almost anything possible over the boarder. Usually by accident. I live in rochester, go across on a very usual basis and have never had a problem. Be truthful and they will probably be more of a pain in the ass. Hate to say it, but the border patrol just doesn't know what "bad" things they're looking for.

BEN

6. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I would definitely say be truthful...if you are not and they "sense" you are lying they'll hassle you a lot, and rightly so. From what you say, it does not sound like you want to bring anything not allowed...packaged candy and the like will be no problem...it is fruits, vegetables, meats, animals and weapons that are no-no's...Toronto...aka "the big smoke" or "center of the universe" (according to those that live there) hahah....I can say that because I lived there for many years.....enjoy your trip - it can be a fun city to visit....oh yeah!

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i was just watchin the rerun of the "that 70's show" where they go to canada to buy beer and fez cant find his green card. lol...

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

As a former customs officer, I can tell you common sense will tell you what not to bring over the border. It's been about 5 years since I worked with them so rules might have changed, but here's the things you might want to reconsider taking with you:
    1) Meats & Vegies (Reasons can range from preventing the spread of disease to protecting local farmers)

2) Alcohol ... Now this is tricky, as I was leaving they changed the rules, but if you bring either a 40oz bottle or 24 beer or 1.5Ltrs Wine (sorry for the metric but I forget what that is in imperial) that should be acceptable...again you might want to check out that link James L posted.

3) Tobacco ...again the rules might have changed but keep the smokes to a carton, and the stogies to 50 (better yet buy good Cuban ones here... there is an excellent smoke shop at the NW corner of Avenue and Bloor accross from the ROM --free Friday nights... uh the ROM's free not the stogies-- :) )

4) Weapons including pepper spray and/or mace! You'll probably be flying and wouldn't take anything like this stuff (...unless you like body cavity searches at the airport...) but many traveling Americans don't realize that pepper spray or mace is a prohibited weapon sure there are legal ways around it like calling it bear repelant, but it will just get taken away from you if you bring it.

As for the spices and candies you want to bring, I'm sure as long as the quantities are reasonable they should be fine to import, as a general guideline anything processed is usually o.k... usually.

P.S. saabmp3 my advice to you and to everyone crossing the border is to be honest. The reason why it seems they don't know what they are looking for is because they are looking for everything. People accidently bring a lot of stuff with them... hell I had a guy who bought a gun, left it under his car seat and forgot about it for two years, he was honest (and luckily remembered it) and declared that he had it. Sure he had to take 5 minutes of his time to sign a form and surrender the weapon for his stay, but it's a lot better than going to jail. Sure if you lie you might get away, but if you get caught can you live with the consequences?