Traveling to Germany with a Powerbook, not sure of power supply

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mojohanna, Oct 11, 2005.

1. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Hello all,
    I will be heading to Germany in Nov for a huge trade show. My mom has been kind enough to loan me her 17" powerbook for the trip. I intend to use it on the plane to watch movies and maybe play a few games. Keep myself busy. I also thought this would be an easy way to keep in touch with my wife. It is a loaded pb with blue tooth and airport. What I am not sure of though is getting power to it while I am in Germany. I have an adapter kit so that I can use the right size plug but I am not sure if I need to have some sort of transformer to charge the pb or if it wont work at all.
    Here is what I need to know:
    1. Does the pb run multiple voltages?
    2. If not, is it even a smart idea to use a transformer to charge the thing?
    3. Anyone travel on a plane recently that gave you the ability to plug into 110? I have heard of this being offered but never experienced it.
    4. if no plug in for the plane, is it a good idea to get a second battery?

and lastly, other than the normal dangers of traveling with a laptop, is there anything else I should be aware of while out of the country with a laptop.

Thanks!

2. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

115VAC?

It has been a long time, but when I exhibited electronic equipment at a German trade show, they provided 115VAC for the exhibitors that needed it.

3. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Our booth is set up with 220v per the specs we received. I was thinking more along the lines of hotel room charging. I don't need the computer at the show, but will probably carry it with me for fear of losing it.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Look on the power brick itself, you should see whether it says 100-240V 50/60~

Simple rule -- Don't plug anything in unless you can read right on the device that it handles 220 or 240 V.

Take a BOOTABLE COPY of the OS CDs. Never know when you need to reset a password or repair a drive.

5. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Thanks, that is a great help. I checked my power bricks for my ipods and they have that information clearly stamped on the brick. I sent an email to my mom to confirm that it is clearly marked on hers. It looks like it just steps the voltage down from the 100-240 to 12v. So i should only need an adapter to make the plug fit the type of plugs they have there.

Appreicate the help.

6. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

most portable devices like iPods, iBooks, PowerBooks have a reducer built right into the power brick.

my iBooks states :

Input AC 100V - 240V Output 24.5V.

with that said yes you just need an adaptor and you good to go.

caution: always check the statement on the powerbrick and never assume. it can be fatal for your machine.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My 12" PB worked fine in Zurich and Finland. Bought a refurb Firewire iPod charger for $10, came with the international adapters which work with the PB power brick.