Traveling to New Zealand...

Discussion in 'Community' started by _bnkr612, May 26, 2005.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Hey people-

I am going to be traveling to New Zealand in August through October (their spring time) and I was curious if anyone had some tips or cool places to check out while I am over there.

I have relatives who are mostly older in NZ, but I will be asking the cousins who are my age what there is to do as well. I just wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions.

I was also wondering what to pack (in 5200 cubic inches backpack), this is my tentative list:

1 pair of jeans
    1 pair of shorts
    4 shirts (2 short, 1 long, 1 button up)
    1 fleece jacket
    3-4 pairs of underwear
    3-4 pairs of socks (hiking socks, not white cotton)
    1 pair of sandals
    1 pair of hiking boots or maybe all terrian shoes
    baseball hat and a beanie
    raincoat
    small daypack
    sleepingbag

equipment:
    12" powerbook
    universal adapter (is australia the same voltage?)
    4 mp camera
    waterbottle
    ipod mini
    knife

toiletries:
    deo
    toothbrush
    hair poo/cond.
    platic bag
    aspirin

buying:
    bag lock (goes over the whole bag)

I am going to pre-pack everything and then try and eliminate if I can. I need to be frugal on this trip and I will be cutting some stuff out if too heavy or too full (need room for gifts!). I guess I don't need pants, as long as I have my 'puter.

Any suggestions would be greatful.

Cheers.

2. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

be careful, the people at metro airport are freaks. believe me my mom works there and if they cant get the lock of your bag they will just cut it and throw the thing away most likely so i wouldnt use that bag lock if i were you. well that is if they have to scan the bag, not just on the little belt thing. just making you aware. my mom has told me about doing this a million times.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well i was in new zealand for about 12 days in november. you will be able to do so much more than i was given your much longer amount of time. but places i did get to see and liked or disliked as follows:

auckland - good for a day (2 at max) but it's pretty much just a city with some nice hills and some cool islands you can take a boat too... but nothing extraordinary.

rotorua - very cool. definitely hit up a maori feast. worth a couple days there for sure.

tongarira crossing - amazing. i did the hike in cold driving rain and was totally unprepared. it was the most grueling and scary experience of my life, but i'd do it again... if the weather is good. the views are nonexistent in crappy weather.

wellington - pretty neat city. would've liked to look around more of it. supposedly the museum there is really cool, but didn't get a chance to see it.

south island - only had time to see abel tasman park... which was awesome. great hike and nice beaches... definitely worth a day or so.

we really wanted to see the glacier down further on the south island, but didn't have time...

anyways, just my thoughts. i'm sure your relatives will have ideas too. i would imagine it'll be easier to decide on things when you have so much more time. i hope to get back there someday.

4. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

It does sound like you needed more time!

I have relatives on the North and South Islands, it will be one big loop starting from Auckland!

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Voltage is the same as oz the plugs are slightly different but will fit.I don't know what your into but I'd suggest northland and the west coast(south island) allow quite a bit of time.Swimming with the dolphins and whale watching at kaikoura are perennial tourist faves.A three day canoe trip on doubtful sound will blow your mind(and its relatively cheap).Milford sound is nice but is also a tourist trap.Stay well away from queenstown unless you have a liking for cheesy nightlife.Be prepared for sandflies on southern west coast they are plentiful.Other than that enjoy as I'm sure you will,do one of the major walks if you can.